Copying balisongs

How come the chineese and the others that've copied expensive balisongs never copied for instance the tang stamp? They just stamp in Stainless or something like that...

When you counterfeit money, you don't put in a pic of yourself instead of B. Franklin, right? :p

The tang stamp is usually specific to the company that makes the bali, and copying it would be illegal.

I don't think most companies that make the CCCs are doing it to pass off their product as the original, but are doing it to offer a cheaper alternative to the real thing.

Im gonna take a guess here, but they would probably get the pants sewed off of them, either that or some kind of respect thing...urmm i dunno really, good question, I wouldnt mind knowing for sure myself.

Yes, I know it would be illegal to copy the tang stamp. But like I said about counterfeiting money... ;)

But it could be Mr. YODA is right - they make copies to make an alternative... But then again, they DID make them look a lot like the original ones, so if you were a bit of a newbie, you could be fooled, right? So why not fool even more, and put on that tang stamp? :p

And one other thing... Is it true that BM has copyrightet it's skeleton handle design? So anybody that use that particulary design on their handles could end up being sued? If so, what about e.g. the 'bali ring'? Is that a 'rip off'?

Maybe the CCC companies aren't original enough to think of their own design, hence they copy someone else's.

I'm not sure about the hole pattern, Chuck will know.

They copy because they see a design that is sucessful. It isnot really counterfeiting but it is copying. The CCC's are a cheaper alternitive and if someone likes the way a BM bali looks but does not have the money for one they cold get ahold of one of these cheaper verions.

One of my first balis was a CCC that "tried" to pass itself off as a Jaguar.
It was stamped "JAGUAR" on the blade, but didn't have the jumping cat.
It had green speckeled skeleton handles, and a bowie blade with serrations.
I gave it away to a friend who was tired of seeing me have all the fun/pain.:D

Don't think that China can't come out with counterfit stuff, and try to pass it off as an original...
Copyright laws are country specific. If China makes a "copy" of the Tachyon (which I've heard from M.Turber that it's in the works...) Just who are you going to sue???

Look at some of the custom makers that rip off designs... They stamp their own name on them as well. Why would a production company be different?

If a custom maker 'rips off' a design, that's most likely because the person that placed the order wanted it that way, don't you think?

It's a good thing the CCCs are so poorly made there's usually no big deal seeing it's a fake. How ever, I'd like to see a pic of a copy Tach... Just to see how good they did their job. ;)

I would have to go with a custom maker ripping off a design due to customer request at 30%. If they do that they are already unethical IMO. The rest of the time I think they see something hot and selling well from another maker and jump on it to make a quick buck. This is how trends begin but some trends have more obvious "homage" factor built in than others!

Back