Corby bolts: Brass, Copper or stainless

I wanted to know which one of those materials are best to use to secure handles on a knife. What are the benefits and cons of using those materials? Thanks.

I only use stainless. I don't want to have to worry about tarnish or corrosion bleeding on to my handle material. I'm not sure if that's possible but I'm not taking any chances. The other two just depends on the look. There really isn't any mechanical advantage to any one material. I think corbey bolts are the way to go. I did see some pictures of some black ones but haven't been able to find a supplier. If I can, I am thinking of doing an all black/dark knife and those would be nice.

I've used all three, and I think they're all plenty strong. Stainless is easiest to keep clean, of course, but it's not that big of a problem either way.

What about micarta pins? I think they can give it a destinctive look, not sure about their strength??

All three work just fine

Brass and copper will take on a patina which currently is very popular with some customers

I use all three on whatever knife i'm making depending on the desing and the look i'm going for... obviously stainless would be stronger, but if you can break apart brass rivets, you've likely already ruined the handle material long before

You have to be careful grinding the stainless Corbys. They can heat up quickly and make a burned ring around them.

What would be your guy's preference in terms of looks, strength and overall reliability. Brass or copper?

Here's a sample of a knife with copper tubes and bow drill divot.

Back