Corona thread. No politics please

Status
Not open for further replies.

SIx Magpies

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
In these troubling times we need a place to discuss this terrible virus. I know this is a knife forum but its also a great place full of knowledgeable people.
As long as we keep politics out we should be good
I hope you all stay safe
Frazer

I’ve been working at home for the past three weeks. Town Hall set us up with a laptop and AnyDesk. I’ve been surprised at how busy I’ve been, I’m putting in almost a full day. Best part is I can have lunch whenever I want, no time spent driving, home on time. There’s been adjustment for our department since we can’t just walk over with a question. We’re closed to the public, no walk ins, drop off plans in the mailbox and we’ll get back to you.

I wake up every day feeling fit as a fiddle, not sniffles, no sneezes and no nuttin, and then the day starts! By the time the eve comes, I'm a friggin mess! Every little twitch garners a red flag and my senses for this fooquing virus and my awareness amplify. Late in the eve after I have walked the dog for the last time and make sure that Mom's upstairs resting comfortably, I will then medicate by taking Theraflu tea or similar and then I usually dozen off on the couch surrounded by the dog and the cat somewhere nearby. Then lather, rinse and repeat!

My concern and perhaps fear is that during the pandemic, lots of people with some other medical issues will avoid seeing their physicians (try to get an actual appointment these days, ha!) which may manifest in missing on some other serious issues. Fooquing little bugger virus! Why do people refer to it as a "beast" or the monster? The bugger is actually 1/900th of the diameter of human hair!

Thank you Jo and Nathan! I think it's hard not to talk about the elephant sitting in the room - how can you ignore it? I feel with any major stressful event in life, it helps people to talk about it, and you realize that others have some of the same feelings/concerns that you do. With only some minor disruptions, I have been able to work from home, so I feel very fortunate. I think hydroxychloroquine will save a lot of lives, so hopefully the death toll will be toward the lower end of the projections. Take care everyone!

I've been enjoying making myself sandwiches.

Do you half your sandwiches and if so, do you cut diagonally or right in the middle? Do you cut vertically or horizontally if halving in the middle? What is your favorite sandwich knife? Do you use a separate spreading knife for the mayo, mustard or even butter?

Since this is a Corona related thread, what do you use to sanitize your knives if used in making them sandwiches?

Apologies for the above juvenile Q. It's all Lorien's fault because he manages to bring out the child in me :)

Now a serious Q for the experts: what do you think about using facial cleansers a couple of times a day? Like when you get paranoid that you inadvertently touched your face, even if you've washed your hands like crazy already?

Had to go to doctor today because of a sinus infection that started over the weekend and sore throat. Other than everybody had masks on it was just a normal visit. Got some meds and hope to feel better tomorrow. No Covid 19 test and no problem getting the appointment.
I was a little nervous though. Was starting to feel real bad and not sure on the process to get appointment with doctor.

I’d like to hear from @donscpoo regarding the current Covid-19 status in Singapore. I have not read this yet but I just heard on the news that Singapore is now experiencing its third wave of this virus! Don if you are still visiting is in here and notice this post, please chime in as to how these ebbing & flowing waves are hitting and affecting your nation?

Continuing here re: decontamination of masks.

It would only be for personal use as I'm not a medical professional.

I had 2 schools of thought for those of you who own multiple masks. Studies have shown that the virus cannot survive outside a host for greater than 3-4 days. If you own multiple masks, you can simply rotate between several of them, allowing used masks to rest for a week before reuse. The virus should die off at room temperature. Cooler temperatures have already been shown to preserve the live virus.

I have only needed to go to public places one every 2 weeks (for food) so this strategy would work for me. My work is going to begin providing masks so I won't need to bring one there so I really only need to be concerned about grocery shopping.

On the topic of shopping, the Costco's in my area are all opening earlier than normal. We went last Sunday at 7:45am and it was open already with a small line up in front of us (their official opening time is 10am). They were letting people in in groups and they monitored the number of shoppers (heard employees on walkie talkies giving exact counts of number of people in the store).

Asian grocery stores are definitely not as busy (pet sure due to stigma reasons but I won't touch that topic here). One of the larger chains of Chinese grocery store required everyone to wear masks and they provided masks to people who didn't have one.

Just got through thinking I might have had it due to minor symptoms and exposure.
Tested negative, awesome.
Found out today I might have been exposed again.
Oh the joys of being an ER RN.
Might seem weird but part of me just wishes I'd get it so I don't have to be so paranoid at work.

Sounds like you are all doing a great job of reducing risks, thank you!
Be healthy, be safe.
Cheers

I joined bladeforums only for the cpk subforum so I don't see the other threads. I kinda like having our own anyways. We should be keeping it in the family anyways #socialdistancing lol

Exactly! Also well played on the SD'ing ;) Truth is that some of the CPK folks only come to BF.com because of CPK and some of the Covid-19 threads which I have seen in the community section and particularly the one in the PA (Political Arena) are not for everyone's tastes.

I have now decided to venture out to the shops for essentials once a week.Prior, I had been to Costco, to Trader Joe's and to two major grocery chains, one mainly for Mom's meds as her pharmacy is inside there. I was very impressed with the new protocols and measures taken by both Costco and by Trader Joe's to protect both the employees and the patrons during the pandemic but not so impressed by those two big grocery chain stores. They were not irresponsible or negligent but I could notice some lacking when compared to the former two.

The worst one has been the USPS. Now I go in looking totally ridiculous with a baseball cap, shooting glasses, face mask and latex gloves just to drop off packages into the chute but I see patrons and employees just wandering about unprotected! Well this was as recent as this past Saturday but maybe things have changed for the better but the stricter SD'ing rules have been in effect here in Cali for a good couple of weeks now! Chase Bank branch visit in person was fine as most customers and tellers had face-masks but I had to drop the baseball cap and the shooting goggles before I went in; well it's a bank and I didn't wanna be mistaken for someone I should not have been ;)

RE: A COVID-19 thread for CPK. OK, I'll go along with it. I didn't realize that some folks only look at this sub-forum. There are some really educational forums in BF. W&C for instance. :p

I went to Safeway yesterday afternoon. They also have some new protection protocols. Only 100 customers in the store at a time. There was a young lady with a smartphone counting people
as they entered and left. When she reached 100, you had to wait until someone checked out. I had to wait about 30 seconds. There was also a line for the checkout lanes. It was also controlled
by two young women who would direct you to the next open checkout lane. That actually worked quite well and the line moved fast. I was confused at first as were a few others. It must be new.

The stock was pretty much back to normal except for canned goods. The meat, bread, veggie, frozen foods, deli and dairy sections were well stocked. I don't need TP, so I didn't look there.

I also went to the PO to drop off a package. They had the front of the counter blocked off with plastic bins so that the customers can't get too close to the clerks. It was still less than 6 feet.

Just got through thinking I might have had it due to minor symptoms and exposure.
Tested negative, awesome.
Found out today I might have been exposed again.
Oh the joys of being an ER RN.
Given your profession, you're probably aware; but the tests have yielded a significant number of false negatives (around 30% from what I've seen/heard).

For those wearing "surgical masks" recommendation PRIOR, and unrelated, to this pandemic was that they be changed after 4hrs (continuous use).

Question: What do you think will be a lasting or even permanent change for you or for society in general from this?

I think shaking hands will be a thing of the past (maybe for a while). Lots of folks will wear masks in public.

I wasn't a big fan of crowds before, so this will likely embed that for the long run.

It is also on my mind that as a family we were pretty poorly prepared to shelter. Grocery stores are so convenient and we typically shopped 2X a week, maybe even a 3rd quick trip in a week for something small. Not a lot of eating out, but we just didn't keep much on hand. We eat a lot of produce so liked to keep it fresh. We have built up a pretty good buffer now, so we don't need so shop but every 2 weeks. I am not sure why, but it occured to me to start doing this back in February - I just saw how this was unfolding in China and Europe and figured it was coming. My wife and I have agreed that we will continue this way even after this passes. We are not big TEOTWAWKI preppers, but lets face it... things are different now. We plan to continue keeping stocked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back