Corona virus face masks

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong thread , but it's anyone using any face masks during this corona epidemic ? And if so , what are you using ?

Looking for a few recommendations,
Even though everything is sold out

Hi there, speaking from Spain right now.

The virus lives in the small saliva particles, so you have to protect yourself against that. Cross contamination from touching stuff and flying particles.

If you are taking care of infected people, then you need to go up to PP3 level masks + eye protection, in order to filter out the smallest spray (while intubating people). Stated as so by medical personel I know first hand.

If you just want to protect yourself while shopping or interacting with people (which I suggest you avoid at all costs), I suggest you use whichever mask/face protection/eye protection you could get your hands on, use gloves (disposable preferred, rubber ones if not that you could desinfect). Get familiar with NBQ protocols and try to follow them (from the civilian point of view). Design a "dirty room" in your house, the nearest to the entrance the better, if it is a bathroom you are golden and dress/undress always there.

f you have a shop and spray paint or grind or something, get that gear (face mask, eye protection and filter mask), make sure to clean them with bleach after washing every time you go out and you will be well protected. A full face gas mask would be great, but if you don't clean the rubber/silicon sealing area everytime you get home, it will not work.

I am using right now a 3M Chemical respirator (half mask) with non-replaceable 4279+ filters. But again, any mask that avoids you intaking someones spit particles sneezing on your face will serve you well.

Stay safe!

Mikel

Since I'm in a risk category where I'm more likely to pass it on, I've been wearing a home made mask, two layers thick of cotton. I'm not worrying about gloves, just clean-hands protocols, as that is the much more reasonable method for the few hours I need to be out. I've got a health care provider in the house, so we are presuming we'll get it, I'm just doing my best to keep from giving it away when I do grocery runs for folks who need to stay isolated.

Seems like the Spanish Gov. is about to make a general recommendation for everyone to go out (shopping, to work, etc) wearing a face mask. Up to now wearing or not was left to everyones criteria... I must say the first day I went to the grocery stores I felt somewhat weird with my close-to-NBQ looks while none else was wearing anything. But I didn't care much. Now most of the people are wearing some kind of face mask.

Stay safe!

AF1QipPOcvCVvnMDrzxkIhcuskD17YZV6uH4Xj4I50KH
The wife is a member of the Santa Rosa Quilt Guild, the group has been cranking out
100+ masks daily. the local Sewing machine repair/fabric store is the collection point.
the pattern they make is a double layer of hi-thread count cotton with a slit to slide
in a filter pad. I'm using cut up Chemex coffee filter material, works really well.
many of the local Nurses come by & grab several. swap them out during their shifts
then take them home to launder in hot water so they are ready for the next day.
https://photos.google.com/album/AF1.../AF1QipPOcvCVvnMDrzxkIhcuskD17YZV6uH4Xj4I50KH

Last edited:
Everyone's risk tolerance is different. Most people use rubber gloves so long they are no longer protective against viruses so, I feel most of it is a false sense of security. Yes, I have plenty of Nitrile gloves for painting and handling blood products. If you don't change them often, they lose their effectiveness. Then there is the issue of properly removing them. Personally, I'm careful with what I touch and wash my hands with REAL SOAP and WATER!

Most masks really protect others, not yourself so, keep that in mind (assuming you are not wearing an N95 or better mask properly). Preventing sneezes and coughing spread is the goal of most non-medical face masks FWIW. In my case, where a store requires it, I just fold a bandanna in half and tie it around my neck, for cosmetics mainly as I live alone in a farmhouse in an area with extremely low infection rates that are likely mostly in the prison system or the nursing homes in the county.

Your best option is to reduce your risk by only traveling when necessary even though quarantine tourism is trendy right now. And, no I won't be going to the beach or a crowded bar this holiday!

The reality is that until enough healthy people develop immunity NATURALLY, the vulnerable among us will remain at greater risk. Herd immunity is the best near term protection for vulnerable populations. Continued forced isolation is causing great harm with people missing cancer treatments, stroke care for fear of catching the virus if they go to the Emergency Room, then there is mental health and forms of domestic abuse that are harming vulnerable populations as well. Think this is overrated, try getting a dentist appointment or heart stint? Got a broken arm? Too bad... Preventative healthcare? :eek: :mad:

I hope I am wrong and a vaccine is created in a few months but, I honestly don't see even an expedited vaccine development process getting distributed widely prior to the 'fall flu season'.

Whether people will have a job or any money to pay for a doctor visit, food or, rent is a different topic. :( The financial damage done to most people will linger long after the virus runs its full course. The elites will continue on with minimal negative outcomes but, the 'working classes' who will remain jobless for the long term is a truly scary prospect.

Yes. Started with home made then recently purchased some higher quality ones with breathing valves.

I don’t like wearing them but we have very low Covid rates. Most people are wearing them. Might be the reason rates are low despite the high volume of visitors we are still receiving.

Hospital is still taking in people but they have upped the preventative measures. Broke my arm a month ago and they fixed me up.

A lot of it depends on where you live and the local exposure rates. Then add a dose of PR induced fear and peer pressure. :eek:

My county is still under 20 cases with only 1 death. The fear is more like 20K cases and 1K deaths though. :mad:

Nothing in life is risk-free and sometimes the cure is worse than the disease. ;)

Thank you for the kind words. Right arm has lost some dexterity but I’m thankful to still have it.

I had shoulder surgery a couple of years ago. With Physical Therapy I saw significant improvement. Hopefully, with time and some Physical Therapy, you will be back to 100% too. :thumbsup:

Back