Corrosion in the washers in my Sebenza???

ARtsig1

Banned
I think this is probably just tarnish as I have noticed it in the Sebenza's I have had and other knives that use this type washer. I have in the past used a metal polish such as Flitz and polished the washers. I don't do this too often as I imagine that a tiny amount of material may be removed each time this is done and could affect the precision of the blades lockup over a long period of time. Unless it is really bad I would just wipe it off and relube.

The washers on my Sebenza have that discoloration also. Since it doesn't affect function and is not visible from the outside, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just clean them with hot water and relube the pivot area. That should be all the maintenance necessary.

fracmeister

Petroleum Engineer
What do you use to lube it? I have been doing a drop of rem oil or maybe some wd40 when I am too lazy to dissassemble.

ARtsig1

Banned
WD-40 is not a lube. It does a good job of cleaning out the old lube. Rem oil is good. I invested in some of the CRK fluorinated grease. It comes in a syringe which allows pinpoint applications. This is some good stuff but usually means taking the knife apart to apply it. Of course with CRK THIS IS NOT A PROBLEM, as it would be with some other companies!

I've been using my Sebenza almost 5 years and the washers have held up fine! Just a little tarnish.:)