Corrosion protection?

Hi,

which ways do you know to protect a carbon steel from corrosion? Burnishing? A powder coating (if so: which?)? Is there a way to apply some kind of 'Busse' style crinkle coating? Some kind of 'paint'? In order to prevent the carbon steel from losing HRC the process temperature should be quite low. Therefore PVD or CVD coatings are not applicable. :(

Any ideas?

Regards and thanks!!!

Mark23

Both Epoxy and Teflon prevent corrosion well but are relatively "soft" and will wear away easily. Chris Reeve uses Kal-Gard GunKote on his One Piece series (A2 steel) and I have read that it works well and will not wear away except from extreme, prolonged use. Boron Carbide is very hard and is supposed to resist corrosion.

BTW, What is PVD/CVD?

AFAIK PVD means "Physical Vapour Deposition" and CVD means "Chemical Vapour Deposition", both can be used to apply TiN or TiCN coatings on toolsteels that can be annealed at higher temperatures ...

Thanks for the Kal-Gard info.

Regards!

Uh, I just became aware that the corrosion protection *should* be food safe. I guess that makes it quite difficult. ...

Sorry.

Any recommendations, though? Carnuba wax?

Thanks!

Regards

Mark23

Hi Mark23.

If you wants to protect your blade,yet you want it to be hygienic and to be used in food preperation and so on,try "Sentry Solutions Tuf Cloth". It gives a coating surface that´s free from oil and silicons,and therefore not unhealthy to use on food knives. It gives a thin film on your blade,that dries fast and leave a non sticky surface that don´t mess down your clothes. It´s only disadvantage is that it smells mouch,before it dries.
I can strongly recomend this product on all steel/metall surfaces that you want´s to proctect.

Manowar

Back