Corrosion testing

A note about Krytox. I believe it is so dang expensive, not because it is some sort of crazy, made from Unicorn tears and Tibetan orchids kind if thing, but because it meets some really stringent space/NASA specifications. That's what we use it for at my company, anyway. It carries certain space and military certs, but isn't otherwise that big of a deal.

I recently purchased a 125mL (4 oz) bottle of some stuff from a competing company, that was hard-spec'd by my customer, that cost $2,080 and took 6 weeks to get delivered. Space rated = expensive.

Hey Josh - awesome thread! Adding one to the potential list, how about Aegis Solutions EDCi? Just heard about it a couple days ago and bought a 4 oz bottle to try. I think i read it is at least non-toxic if not food safe...cannot remember for certain at the moment though.

Yeah I've heard about that one... I may pick some up.

Also, if you guys have any you want me to test feel free send them my way - I'll use and cover return shipping.

Can you label the blades, please? More than just on the paper towels, and maybe the start date as well? I'm going to lose track of what's applied to which one for how long.

While you do that, I'll go get the popcorn and be right back.

Thanks.

Yeah, good idea! Will do from now on.

A note about Krytox. I believe it is so dang expensive, not because it is some sort of crazy, made from Unicorn tears and Tibetan orchids kind if thing, but because it meets some really stringent space/NASA specifications. That's what we use it for at my company, anyway. It carries certain space and military certs, but isn't otherwise that big of a deal.

I recently purchased a 125mL (4 oz) bottle of some stuff from a competing company, that was hard-spec'd by my customer, that cost $2,080 and took 6 weeks to get delivered. Space rated = expensive.
Wow!! That's insane!

OK well that's good to know for sure!

How's this... I didn't feel like typing it out twice but pics are side by side.

i-BP6F3Xc-X3.jpg

i-Cftvmng-X3.jpg

And starting some new ones... I'll re-run some of these as I standardize how I'm doing things!

i-cnMtfwx-X3.jpg

I decided to not wipe completely dry but wipe off excess and massage the remaining light coat in with gloves on. I think I will do this with every oil from now on.

The super lube was weird, it evaporates off almost immediately, you can't really get it to look consistent. Here's an idea how each apply:

i-2BpdBSc-X3.jpg

i-zbBtRnv-X3.jpg

i-BqfKssG-X3.jpg

This is an awesome test. I was suggesting marking the blades or attaching a permanent/stamped tag. Something that will be visible over the weeks and months, that make your life easier (you don't need to be editing photos every time, re-labeling things). Can you mark with an engraver? Something like that.

Again, I'm thinking how this could be easier for you.

TR

This is an awesome test. I was suggesting marking the blades or attaching a permanent/stamped tag. Something that will be visible over the weeks and months, that make your life easier (you don't need to be editing photos every time, re-labeling things). Can you mark with an engraver? Something like that.

Again, I'm thinking how this could be easier for you.

TR
Well I don't want the blades to be permanently marked because I only am using 4 blades so basically I push them until what I consider failing (generally less than 48 hrs) and then blast and start the tests with new products. In doing this through elimination I think I can wind up (over time) with comparing the top products with each other. Ideally I would have a bunch of samples like they did in that big test but I don't. Plus, at at some point after narrowing these down I want to compare how well the oil adheres after some cutting then check the corrosion resistance.

Hey Josh - awesome thread! Adding one to the potential list, how about Aegis Solutions EDCi? Just heard about it a couple days ago and bought a 4 oz bottle to try. I think i read it is at least non-toxic if not food safe...cannot remember for certain at the moment though.
Was gonna order some but says out-of stock on their website... Any recommendations?

Has anyone tried ZX1 for folder pivots? Snecx posted some over the weekend and said it has been a top performer in all the years of testing and use - and I trust him. I ordered some to try out - you can only get from the UK. If it does I'll likely put it in some 1oz needle applicator bottles and post them up on my site to make available from the US.

https://www.team-zx1.com/what-is-zx1.html

Ok well I just concluded this batch of testing. Keep in mind I'm putting these 1095 blades in the most corrosion accepting state (sandblasted) and then using a salt solution. So it's to be expected that the oils would break down more quickly than the day at the range testing.

I had to pull the Super Lube after just a few hours, it never got a second spray since it was so incredibly bad. The PB blaster I pulled after 3 sprays.

i-kbzcqfS-X3.jpg

i-LZ25b5K-X3.jpg

Here’s a couple I’ll mention,
Corrosion Block
ACF 50
Above two by same company
Boeshield
Corrosion X has multiple product line
Carwell commercial rust prevention T32 , rustcop

I use corrosion block liquid and grease and the ACF 50. I actually spray my truck every year. It’s an 05 I bought new, no rust , knock on wood. I also use the other products too.

Last edited:
Corrosion Block
ACF 50
Boeshield

I use corrosion block liquid and grease and the ACF 50. I actually spray my truck every year. It’s an 05 I bought new, no rust , knock on wood. I also use the other products too.

You wouldn't need to spray your truck or anything else out here brother. ;)

Corrosion Block
ACF 50
Boeshield

Whoa man! Thanks for the list! What would you suspect to be the top/best performer out of these?

* edit: if you have any extra of these oils that you would be willing to send me a small sample of, lmk. I can send some small bottles ;)

Last edited:
Whoa man! Thanks for the list! What would you suspect to be the top/best performer out of these?

* edit: if you have any extra of these oils that you would be willing to send me a small sample of, lmk. I can send some small bottles ;)

No problem :thumbsup::)
For pivot area I would suggest corrosion block grease. For a liquid I’d say corrosion block or ACF 50.

Let me find find some small bottles. I have gallons of anti rust type products here. I can’t even explain how much I dislike rust!!!!!! Fighting has become a part time job for me lol. But I’ll send you some of everything listed. For corrosion x I have the regular and HD. They make other products also.
I’ll get this all together soon for you :thumbsup:

No problem :thumbsup::)
For pivot area I would suggest corrosion block grease. For a liquid I’d say corrosion block or ACF 50.

Let me find find some small bottles. I have gallons of anti rust type products here. I can’t even explain how much I dislike rust!!!!!! Fighting has become a part time job for me lol. But I’ll send you some of everything listed. For corrosion x I have the regular and HD. They make other products also.
I’ll get this all together soon for you :thumbsup:

Oh man that's so awesome of you! Thanks so much, I'm excited to try these products and figure out what works best for knives.

If you need me to send some bottles/containers lmk it's no problem.

No problem glad to help. Plus I’d like to see how they do. I know my diesel mechanic is always amazed how my engine looks.
If your ever looking for a safe non caustic way to remove rust. Checkout safest rust remover. Yes the stuff really works !!!!!
I was going to try a dollar store for like 2oz bottles.

No problem glad to help. Plus I’d like to see how they do. I know my diesel mechanic is always amazed how my engine looks.
If your ever looking for a safe non caustic way to remove rust. Checkout safest rust remover. Yes the stuff really works !!!!!
I was going to try a dollar store for like 2oz bottles.
Cool I've tried Evapo-rust which is bio degradable and it works really well, the problem is the parts need to be fully submerged or you can also soak paper towels and keep the part wet that way. It does work well though!

OK yeah I don't need much, even just a half oz of each would be perfect.

I'll actually order some applicator bottles from Amazon and ship direct to you :thumbsup::D

Cool I've tried Evapo-rust which is bio degradable and it works really well, the problem is the parts need to be fully submerged or you can also soak paper towels and keep the part wet that way. It does work well though!

OK yeah I don't need much, even just a half oz of each would be perfect.

I'll actually order some applicator bottles from Amazon and ship direct to you :thumbsup::D

Ok perfect :thumbsup:

I’ve tried evapo rust, and it works well. I use the safest rust in a parts washer.

Back