Corrugated Bevel - Your Experience in Use, please

ferider

Gold Member
So, besides being sexy, and making thick blade stock lighter, what's your experience in actual use of corrugated bevels ?

Say, you have a corrugated bevel knife, would you trade it against the same knife, same blade stock, but with a thinner and flat grind ?

For example, take a satin Jack Hammer, vs. a satin Axe Hammer, both with the same 6" INFI Bowie blade thickness and shape, which would you prefer and why ?

Just wondering. Thanks,

Roland.

Last edited:
In my use, the bevels help with reducing friction when a knife gets buried in wood. On smaller knives, besides badass aesthetics, it could theoretically reduce friction when stabbing into something like sheet metal but that's just a guess.

I'd prefer the infi variant..

Corrugated blades are good looking and I think that my cgfbm binds up a little less.. but that could just be my mind playing tricks on me. 🤔

Should have said (and added just now), suppose both blades are INFI.

it's just cool to have imo.

I havent chopped enough with either or to notice any real difference but I imagine getting stuck in a chop or not would be the difference.

For me it's all in the aesthetics.

Because I can tell zero difference in use in corrugated v. non corrug. models, but then again I'm not a high-speed / low drag operator. Maybe one of them will check in with their take.

CBT from what I've observed is kinda a divisive issue here.

Some folks think it looks pleasing, while others have commented that it's ugly and reflects low levels of refinement.

As for my personal feelings on CBT-- the saying goes that a picture is worth 1000 words, so here's my essay on the theme of CBT:

Hell Razor, Jackhammer, Battle Saw:
Qyd6mxO.jpg

9IR1DV3.jpg

Kp6YgVx.jpg

HG55 with vertical CBT:
XjtxKs0.jpg

I6KGFRd.jpg

VRryFaM.jpg

YfYmAgd.jpg

Wsmf3yC.jpg

gLj3CSc.jpg

Battle Saw with horizontal CBT:
FozDcoz.jpg

4A5fsbN.jpg

8m8Wvo3.jpg

even the sawteeth have CBT!
nNuIcGh.jpg

using sawback *note* edge up:
pekFdAh.jpg

PWaS1Ow.jpg

Last edited:
Super pics, PTP0--thanks for sharing your incredible photography, as always.

In your experience, do the HG55 "vertical corrugations" affect cutting in any way?

Super pics, PTP0--thanks for sharing your incredible photography, as always.

In your experience, do the HG55 "vertical corrugations" affect cutting in any way?

After buying my first HG55, the buyer told me the vertical CBT would help me cut cheese with ease...since Mrs. P2.1 is always commenting on me "cutting the cheese" around the house-- I guess the advice was solid. :thumbsup: ;)

All kidding aside, the HG55 is -- as far as I can tell-- a very purpose built fighting blade that also can be very handily be brought into service to breach shuttered openings and open stuff like crates.

It can slice, sure, but I've found it excels at busting open stuff. The hardest use I put my HG55 thru was one fall a few years back demo-ing an old 10x12 Dutch barn storage shed.

I used my HG55 MO with bombproof tip, a harbor fright deadblow hammer, Estwing framing hammer, wrecking bar and a spud bar and made quick work of it after lunch one day.

The bombproof tip combined with the flattened rear pommel made for a perfect tool to make small openings bigger openings so my larger bars would fit in.

Couldn't discern that the vert. CBT was really doing anything. For me, just the overall shape of the tip and pommel is what made it useful to me in that task.

Notice the tip on the bottom one:
323x5Hb.jpg

here it is before stripping and use on the shed, note how the pommel is squared off and proud of the handles...I didn't design it, but I don't have to be an engineer to see a rear end like that is begging to be beat ;)
nfYqbGq.jpg

For using, my money's on the Busse's with squared and exposed pommels >>>SARsquatch, HG55, & Battle Saw:
x9momvH.jpg

xK5drY3.jpg

z6C7TYJ.jpg

Team Gemini family is kinda like that:
eh3QwO3.jpg

Back to ferider ferider OP, the only head:head chop off I've ever conducted CBT vs. non CBT was the BS vs. SHBM 1/300...again, performance seem to be more dependent on sharpness and edge angle than CBT...SHBM won out, but again I stress, I didn't have all my factors in my unofficial "trial" equaled out, the wood was seasoned dogwood, btw:

FozDcoz.jpg

igpsw4w.jpg

CmgS0Ov.jpg

Last edited:
So, besides being sexy, and making thick blade stock lighter, what's your experience in actual use of corrugated bevels ?

Say, you have a corrugated bevel knife, would you trade it against the same knife, same blade stock, but with a thinner and flat grind ?

For example, take a satin Jack Hammer, vs. a satin Axe Hammer, both with the same 6" INFI Bowie blade thickness and shape, which would you prefer and why ?

Just wondering. Thanks,

Roland.
Super Cool pics, btw

I have only had one with corrugated bevels.
I am NOT a collector, only a User.
I beat my knives hard, I will chop anything. I wont own "safe queens"

My unpopular opinion is going to be CBT is All Show, NO GO.

Sure they look cool. I get that. Its good marketing.
But I doubt I will buy another knife With them. I really doubt it.

(My Opinion)
I would of much preferred the knife to be thinner and flat ground.
In fact the blade I had was way too thick, and way to short (height wise). Those thick cheeks on the side of the blade with the CBT was a safety concern, to me.
I had numerous glances off my target, and the blade didn't bite in, but came back to me.
Too dangerous.
If it was thinner, I don't believe that the edge would of been hindered.
I sold that blade With that warning, I didn't want anyone to get hurt.

Since I use my knives, I understand that I will need to sharpen them. How is the CBT hindered That way?

* noted that I absolutely Love certain knives by this company. I just calls em like I see's em.
Thank You.

Speaking only for myself:

something I overlook very often...The company's name: Busse COMBAT Knives...

right there it is staring me in the face...Most <if not all> Busse models are bred for all out war, true SHTF moments...it's not just the company logo or slogan, it's in the DNA of Busse's.

Again, speaking just for me-- I"ve never seen combat or been in a life or death struggle-- but when I demo-ed my barn with the HG55 I begin to see just the fringes of what that knife could do if pushed to the limit and what it was likely designed for.

I feel the same about CBT>>> I can make guesses all day long, but when it comes down to it, it's not evident to me what CBT is really good for because I haven't pushed my Busse's to the limit, ymmv.

As for sharpening CBT, the vertical CBT is vvv no prob vvv. Never had to sharpen all the way up to hit horizontal CBT, but as I said, maybe I'm not ab-using mine bad enough.

Wsmf3yC.jpg

I have only really used my hell razor 2 so far. I don't think the cbt does much. It looks sexy as hell, and I also bought a hr1, and have a forsaken battle Mistress. But now I have a db321 I can kind of try to compare cutting ability to when I am off work. And I plan too.

But my guess is it won't help much. Most of what I've liked with my hr2 I attribute mostly to the miracle of infi.

CBT is superb in the kitchen, for me. My hg55 gets use in the kitchen.

Wet and cold things always stick to blade, but not the hg55. I made a video to show. I apologize for my youngest making peppa pig noises.

Check video below

Please make the hg35!!!

Last edited:
I'm good either way. I have quite a few with CBT. Actually, MOST of mine are CBT. The only thing I've found is with softer wood, particles sometime get trapped in the valleys and can get harder to get out. BUT, I've also gotten wood particles embedded in coatings, which are even worse getting cleaned. So.... meh. CBT is OK. If you gave me a choice betwen identicle knives, in every way, except one had CBT, one didn't.... I'd probably go without, for the simple reason that SHOULD move the balance point a little more forward, and make it better at snap cuts. Other than that, I wouldn't be able to make a choice.

This is my first CGFBM. It's 15 years old, & it's travelled over 25K miles to be handled & tested by folks who participated in its passaround tour. This is the knife loaned out to a pair of landscapers who didn't know anything about Busse, & beat the living isht out of it while I watched & listened...they sheared a bit of the tip off on a rock, horrible noise lol (my unscientific test of a Busse knife)
It's taken more abuse from me than those above..and always bounced back begging for more
After all this, & with the coating wearing down, the CBT still keeps the knife from blinding hard on me while chopping, and the blade still lives on with much life left.
This is the knife that introduced me to CBT, & the one that kept me buying Busse knives. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:Screenshot_201709041.jpeg

Back