1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 39 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Cold Steel Tuff Lite & Cold Steel Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Cold Steel Knives Tuff Lite & Cold Steel Merch Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Sept 28 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

could use a little advice

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by DirrtyB, Mar 26, 2010.

1. dannyp

dannyp Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I don't blame you for not wanting to have a knife all rusted up on you. I also know what you mean about coming home and falling asleep. Sometimes it's hard enough for me to stay awake while driving back. The Fallkniven F1 is another option. It's made with VG10, which in my experience is very corrosion resistant and it's available with a nylon and zytel sheath.

2. DirrtyB

DirrtyB

Mar 26, 2010
    I looked at buck and the only knife I found in s30v was the ergohunter pro but I'm not a big fan of the rosewood (correct me if im wrong) inserts. Pretty much everything else was 420hc. I'm actually retiring a gerber steadfast because I found out gerber outsources everything to china; and I was under the impression it was still made in America.
    As far as my price range goes I'd like to keep it in the 100$ dollar range the old lady would castrate me if she found out I was spending that kind of money on something I already had.

3. Samael

Samael

Sep 30, 2007
    Cabela's has the Vanguard with the rubber handle In S30V. As I said earlier, it's right around $100. If you want one, I'd move pretty fast, though - they were down to less than 20 of them in stock the last time I checked.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2010
  4. rifon2

rifon2

Oct 9, 2005
    As Samael noted, the Buck Vanguard in S30V is available at Cabela's.

I think you would do best with a stainless steel blade, and you mentioned that you want a rubber type of handle.

The Vanguard is a really good knife, as are the Cold Steel Master Hunter and the Fallkniven F1.
    They each run just about a hundred dollars and any would serve you well for a very long time.

The Buck is made in the USA. The Cold Steel and Fallkniven are made in Japan. All are very high quality knives.

5. DirrtyB

DirrtyB

Mar 26, 2010
    samael what model have you been carrying? do they offer the zipper without the combo edge?
    i might have to make a cabelas run out to west virgina this weeked...

6. Samael

Samael

Sep 30, 2007
    Whoa. What I'm talking about is a Buck/Cabela's Alaskan Guide Vanguard in S30V. No combo edge, no gut hook - trust me, you don't need that junk (and it actually gets in the way in tight quarters in the chest cavity).

7. DirrtyB

DirrtyB

Mar 26, 2010
    i took a graveyard shift so i could spend more time and the woods... and it worked problem is i get in the treestand and scare everything within a mile of me with my snoring.
    i looked at the fallkniven and cold steel knives suggested and both fit the bill but id prefer to get somethin made here put some money back into our economy.

8. Samael

Samael

Sep 30, 2007
    Dirty, can you PM me? I don't think so, but do it if you can. Maybe I can make your day.

9. DirrtyB

DirrtyB

Mar 26, 2010
  10. Samael

Samael

Sep 30, 2007
  11. DirrtyB

DirrtyB

Mar 26, 2010
    ahhh the sneeky old drop down menu.
    shoulda known, their site is a mess.
    thanks!
    haha
    ill be headin down this weekend to see if i can get a my meat hooks on one to give it the once over.

12. Samael

Samael

Sep 30, 2007
    Good luck to you. I don't think you can go wrong with that knife.

13. sykes3170

sykes3170

Feb 18, 2010
    Don't forget entrek knives. Top of the line. Best warranty. Made by one of the most honest nicest guys I know. They use 440c with excellent heat treat and sub-zero stabilization. Their knives come with a kydex sheath included. One neat and unique thing is he hand grinds all the knives. Yes the knives are all done by Ray himself. He also has 35 years knife making experience. Find that in another knife for the same quality and price.

14. puukkoman

puukkoman

Sep 30, 2004
    I use a Wolf River from Bark River Knife & Tool for all my skinning/quartering/butchering. It's 12C27 steel, and nice and thin with a full convex grind. Works great.

15. dannyp

dannyp Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 25, 2007
    This past deer season I had a buck come by after I fell asleep in my stand. He apparently didn't mind my snoring. If it wasn't for the antler point restrictions here I would have shot him for waking me up.;)

The Cabela's Vangaurd should be a good choice. On the cheaper end, the Bucklite MAX is made in the US with a rubber handle and a nylon sheath. While it's not as good as S30V, Buck's 420HC is a quality steel and at only $25 it's a good value.