1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Council Fire Axe returned

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by Square_peg, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Square_peg

Square_peg

Feb 1, 2012
    Today I received and returned a new 6lb. Council Flathead Fire Axe. The axe head itself was really nice, good high centerline (convex cheeks) and reasonably sharp and well-shaped right from the factory.

And the handle was well-slimmed and had the feel of a vintage handle. It had a comfortable swell. I could have put it work straight-away without mods if only the handle had been minimally usable. I think it would have been a fantastic splitter.

[​IMG]

garry3, muleman77 and Agent_H like this.
  2. jblyttle

jblyttle Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 3, 2014
    Oh my.

Agent_H likes this.
  3. Square_peg

Square_peg

Feb 1, 2012
    With a good handle I think this axe would outperform any of the big name splitting mauls at a lower price. Plus it would chop like a SOB!

muleman77 likes this.
  4. junkenstien

junkenstien

Feb 15, 2017
    Are you getting another one?Got a 5lb council Dayton and it’s a heck of a splitter.

Miller '72 and muleman77 like this.
  5. Square_peg

Square_peg

Feb 1, 2012
    I might be getting another in a few weeks. I've been contacted by a dealer.

muleman77 likes this.
  6. muleman77

muleman77

Jan 24, 2015
    I use a lot of newer councils with the red head. They are fine steel, and perform great. Chop, split, pound wedges.

That handle you got though, was not ok!

Square_peg and Trailsawyer like this.
  7. LegionPrime

LegionPrime

Feb 13, 2010
    Nothing wrong with that handle, just swap it out and stick a hewing head on it. LOL