Council Tool Axe-4th generation receiving the axe

Hello Blade Forum

It is time to pass down to the fourth (5th ?) generation my lifetime axe, since age 14. It is a Council Tool Axe given to me by my great uncle.

I was fourteen and didn't have the money to buy a axe. My great uncle let me use his axe as he and three other great uncles trained me in the ways of a Tennessee lumberjack. The year was 1966 and we had no chain saws then. But we did have cross cut saws and axes. We did all the felling and topping(sectioning) and the owners of the local sawmills would send out crews to drag the logs and load them onto trucks.

At age 18, 1970, I left for the U.S. Army. The axe was given to me as a going away present.
My dad used the axe and I've used it for 51 years. Perhaps my great grandfather used it which would make it a 5th generation axe. This Jan. -Feb., 2018, I will pass it to my oldest son in a family get together. He'll probably give it to my youngest son since he is not a big fan of the great outdoors. The youngest son is in love with camping and the great outdoors.

I have thinned the cheeks, profiled the cutting edge, and have honed the edge to razor sharpness. I use a much thinned cheeked axe to get very deep penetration. However, it will stick in the wood unless the axeman uses a special technique of accurate, overlapping cuts.

On You Tube please see The Axe Man, a man is shown with a left swing cut.

I hope the axe will be passed to the next generation. ripshin

Please post a pic of this axe!

BTW, and this is none of my business, but why give it to your oldest?? Just because he's the oldest? You risk it getting stuck in the shed and forgotten, boo! Your youngest is in love with the outdoors! (Full disclosure: I happen to be the youngest in my family, so that might have something to do with my opinion... :))

Back