Council Tools handles

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by lmalterna, Jul 15, 2013.

1. lmalterna

lmalterna Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 12, 2002
    How do you guys like them in general and has anyone rehafted using their replacement handles?

I know they come with Poly and that is OK. Thinking of ordering a couple regular and couple Velvicut line to try.

Thanks,
    Bill

2. Coloradoman24

Coloradoman24

Nov 3, 2012
    We have used them for years at work and the handles are good but you get a bad one here and there. mostly its with the wedge I just pull them out and throw in some elm or what ever is laying around. If you oil your handle an eye well should not have to much of a problem. Just bought a buddy coworker a councils db classic, work it over trimmed the handle polished the bits and took a file to the edge. He just today sent me a picture of him shaving with it in a fire camp.

3. lmalterna

Dec 12, 2002
    Thanks for the confirmation. I have been rehandling a few heads and bought some nicer heads. I may invest in a few of the Velvicut and standard handles for the nicer heads.

Funny that I used to just buy a 5.00 handle and slam it in place, then back to work... :) Replace as needed in 30 minutes or less.

Bill

4. Coloradoman24

Coloradoman24

Nov 3, 2012
    Oh nice work bill 30 mins or less is good time that's what it takes me in my shop with all my tools at hand and ready to go for hafting. Just rehang a council pulaski today two years old same handle wedge just came to loose or that's what I think because there was no wedge just metal washers hammered in. Pulled out all the washers pulled the Pulaski head off trimmed it dropped the head down hammered in some elm wedges and it should be good to go. Would like to here what you think about your new batch of council axes?

Last edited: Jul 17, 2013
  5. lmalterna

Dec 12, 2002
    Oh I think if you saw the quality of that 30 minute job you would understand the speed ;) LOL!! On the farm quality did not count and I am just now trying to go back and learn what I should have learned as a teen. I would spend hours sitting on the porch sharpening an edge but the handle was just something to swing the head with. Grain structure, open/closed face and head alignment were not considered. Tape was used for a grip, multiple steel wedges or even screws were OK for tightening.

Nice to have time to sit in the basement now and properly fit a head. I have plenty of axes so if it takes two weeks to get the minutes needed to get one right, it is OK.

I will report back when I get the chance to try those handles out.

Thanks again,
    Bill

6. Coloradoman24

Coloradoman24

Nov 3, 2012
    I hear you there Bill, it is nice to take time and do it right. Screws work great for a "on the trail fix" but they don't for to long.