Cover scent idea??

In a nearby field from my deer blind, there are some wild growing Pear trees, that we have seen deer eating Pears from the ground at.

I had the idea that after washing all my hunting clothes in scent free stuff to seal them up in airtight bags, with a Pear from the ground around those trees, a day or so before hunting, to transfer the scent of the Pear to my hunting gear.

Worth the effort, waste of time???

I keep most of my hunting gear in a rubbermade tub with green pine cause my area is full of pines. I wouldnt do the pear as it will rot fast but my pine limb tub makes me feel better in the field.

I keep most of my hunting gear in a rubbermade tub with green pine cause my area is full of pines. I wouldnt do the pear as it will rot fast but my pine limb tub makes me feel better in the field.

Good idea, may just collect some leaves from the ground from the same area and use them.

A friend of mine deer hunts near two apple orchards & his wife gets him apple scented candles for his outfits. Stores them in a plastic tub with the candles (not lit of course:)) until he uses them. Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't, but it's an added piece of confidence just the same . .
Be safe.

I prefer the idea of no added scent at all. But, giving yourself a quick wet leaf and dirt (or whatever is in your hunting area) scrub may not be a bad idea.

me and my family learned along time ago that deer arent afraid of farmers or their equipment. so we keep a qt of diesel and put a drop or two of it on our boots clothes etc... never had any problem not seeing deer or them not coming close. they do not care about farmers. :D:thumbup:

Jason

agreed. the fruit will rot plus you may get a bee problem lol.. bees are still out btw. leaves of your native trees work very well.. keep in mind, just playing the wind will help tremendously.

I prefer the idea of no added scent at all. But, giving yourself a quick wet leaf and dirt (or whatever is in your hunting area) scrub may not be a bad idea.

thats me. i would rather smell like nothing than something. however its impossible to be scent free so if you were to use a scent cover, use your natural foliage.. i always rub me boots in dirt and mud as i walk out to the stand.

I too kick up fresh dirt on my shoes and have yet to see deer NOT walk where I have. Also don't touch anything if possible when walking in.

agreed. the fruit will rot plus you may get a bee problem lol.. bees are still out btw. leaves of your native trees work very well.. keep in mind, just playing the wind will help tremendously.

I know a guy who did this with apples and persimmons, his scent was natural to deer and irresistable to the yellowjackets that tore him up.

Walk to your stand with the wind in your face, no matter how out of the way you have to go. This will greatly reduce your chances of getting busted.

Best scent is no scent. I sometimes use a handful of green cedar, crush and rub on clothing and throw a wad in my shirt or hat. I have used smoke as well. Wear rubber boots.

I too kick up fresh dirt on my shoes and have yet to see deer NOT walk where I have. Also don't touch anything if possible when walking in.

great advice. when i make a path to my deer stands i cut the limbs that i could touch.

also if your stands are somewhat nearby (not too far in the woods) i take a heavy metal rake and rake a trail to my stand. not only does this reduce the noise to your stand and makes the walk easier, you will see if deer have crossed or even used your path. this doesnt spook the deer.

true but almost impossible
So true. Can't get by with no scent. I should have said not to pump gas in the truck, cook bacon, smoke, perfumed deoderant (I use a crystal stone for deoderant), shampoo etc. Try and not use strong smelling soap when washing your clothes and forget the fabric softener. Keep hunting clothes outside. Don't sweat walking to the stand Take a piss bottle with you so you don't mark your area. Might drag a rag or tampon with doe in heat with a cord from your rubber boot. Hang it from a bush where you can watch it. Watch your wind. Hope the info helps someone.

since your exhalalations from lungs carry a ton of scent, i think the best idea is use the wind. i knew 2 fellows that hunted from an elevated stand in arkansas, both smoked while hunting & they got deer every year.
dennis

So true. Can't get by with no scent. I should have said not to pump gas in the truck, cook bacon, smoke, perfumed deoderant (I use a crystal stone for deoderant), shampoo etc. Try and not use strong smelling soap when washing your clothes and forget the fabric softener. Keep hunting clothes outside. Don't sweat walking to the stand Take a piss bottle with you so you don't mark your area. Might drag a rag or tampon with doe in heat with a cord from your rubber boot. Hang it from a bush where you can watch it. Watch your wind. Hope the info helps someone.

In my experience, human urine has no negative effects. To test this theory (i do it regularly!), if you have a trail camera, make a mock scrape and take a leak on it. Set up your trail camera and enjoy the action that scrape will attract! Below is a pic from one of my mock scrapes. He stood there for 3 pics. I have many other pics to back up my theory.

MDGC0170.jpg

In my experience, human urine has no negative effects. To test this theory (i do it regularly!), if you have a trail camera, make a mock scrape and take a leak on it. Set up your trail camera and enjoy the action that scrape will attract! Below is a pic from one of my mock scrapes. He stood there for 3 pics. I have many other pics to back up my theory.

MDGC0170.jpg

Very interesting. It that only during the rut? I just would rather not draw there attention during the day.

Very interesting. It that only during the rut? I just would rather not draw there attention during the day.

It's not just during the rut. This mock scrape method will work even before you start seeing real scrapes. If you have a trail cam...try it...you will also learn alot about scrape visitations.

In my experience, human urine has no negative effects.

I just finished Common Scents Strategies: Tricks of the Trade for Attracting Deer by Richard Combs and he discuss' research that reached the same conclusion.

Basically, deer check out all urine, no matter the source.

Back