Covington Bowie in progress

Here's the bowie Greg Covington is currently making for me.

It's 9.5" blade; 1.25" wide with stag handle that has a slight drop to it.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153200071777968&set=np.1438715195711617.1363022559&type=1

Here's some technical information about the blade being made from Greg Covington, the knife maker on this one.

I patterned this Bowie off a vintage MS stamped Bagwell that I own in Damascus. Brownie's specs for a knife turned out nearly the same. The spine on this W2 blade is around .270". The steel is really premium...supplied by Aldo Bruno (New Jersey Steel Baron) who has really set the standard in providing pure quality steel to makers.

I start by squeezing out a tang on a 25 ton hydraulic press then refining it on the anvil. After I forge the rough shape of the tip it goes back to the press where I set a ricasso and use some special dies to roughly forge in some bevels and taper.

The rest is done on the anvil using old techniques right from the brain of Bagwell. For heat treatment, I do the Bagwell style "combat tempering" which luckily he taught me...plus a few steps of my own.

The guard is silver soldered in place and the handle will be secured by a brass pin as well as G-Flex epoxy.

The stag is a piece of really dense red stag...not the typical (and horribly expensive Sambar). Red stag can be really popcorn like in texture and needs to be toned down a bit...but gives and excellent grip. I think I will add a thin ebony buttcap on this one.

I used to pretty close to mirror polish blades on a buffer but these sleek and fast AND pointy Bowies quite frankly scare the crap out of me on a buffer. I want to make knives the rest of my life and I need my fingers, toes, intestines, and good looks.....so lately I go with a fine Scotchbrite belt finish....shiny, with a slight satin look and easy for the user to maintain.

Digging it!!! Soldered brass guard - love it. Can't wait to see it finished.

Well, I can tell you why Joey and I both like it... Looks like it's taken from a page from Mr. Bagwell's book, and that's right up our alley. Please post as it progresses!!!

Well, I can tell you why Joey and I both like it... Looks like it's taken from a page from Mr. Bagwell's book, and that's right up our alley. Please post as it progresses!!!

I've trained with Bill Bagwell twice on bowie use for sd. I've got 4 Bagwells [ 2 hells belles and two standard fighters without the trapping guards ], plus another being delivered next July on a two year wait [ making 5 total ]. This one was specifically ordered with Greg Covington, based on my specs, which come to find out nearly duplicated Gregs own Bagwell Bill made for him some time ago as it turns out.

Few people realize he trained in blade making with Bill for some time, so when you order a Bagwell style bowie from Greg, his will be the closest rendition of Bills blades one is likely to find in a fighting knife. I know several people carrying Covingtons based on my recommendation, having had Greg make a blade some 13 years ago [ my first with him, but by no means my last ].

Appreciate the thoughts on this one. It should be getting to Panther Concealment [ http://www.pantherconcealment.com/ ] for sheathing end of the week or first of next and then off to me. Having two sheaths made, one for each side cav draw.

Back