1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Off Topic Cowboy Stuff

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Horsewright, Oct 13, 2018 at 11:08 AM.

1. Horsewright

Horsewright KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 4, 2011
    Many of ya have mentioned over the years how much ya enjoyed some of my cowboyin' knife threads.

If you are in the central/southern California area Oct 19th-21st is the big deal for us. Our big show of the year, The Brannaman Pro Am. Its free to spectators and its at the Santa Yanez Equestrian Center.

A gorgeous facility and lots to see and then the roping. This isn't a rodeo, its the real deal and the wolves have come to town for this event. Competitors haul in from Canada, the east coast, even some fly in from Australia. If ya make it I'll buy ya a beer. Few pics from last year. Ya know I couldn't do a post without pics.

Couple young coeds from Montana State University stopped by the booth to show us their Horsewright knives:

[​IMG]

My son Logan dragging one out. I'll be competing this year with Logan and on another team too:

[​IMG]

Logan coming in for the heels:

[​IMG]

160 teams competing:

[​IMG]

Did I mention knives? Everywhere:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So come on by if you're around. Be lots of fun.

2. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    Great post and good luck out there. Turn and Burn.

3. Gevonovich

Gevonovich Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Always enjoy your posts, Dave !!!

Horsewright likes this.
  4. Horsewright

Horsewright KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 4, 2011
    Ya bet buddy and thanks @JohnDF. Kinda a different deal. Can't lope till necked, gotta maintain a rodear line till necked, 3 man teams. Roping shots are awarded points based on degree of difficulty so a turnover is 12 points while an overhead is only 6 points, my hoolihan is 9, a scoop loop is 11. Miss a shot, minus 1 point, catch only one heel, half the points that shot was worth but then your header can throw a trap for an extra two or your third partner can rope both fronts for 3 points. Time ends when the cow is down and both ropes have been set and the third partner doing the groundwork stands up.

5. JohnDF

May 14, 2018
    Quite different! Sounds like a lot of fun though.

Horsewright likes this.
  6. Horsewright

Oct 4, 2011
    It is alot of fun and ya do good big $$. My son took fourth a few years back and his third share of fourth place was more than a months wages for him. Its also a great show for us as vendors. Everybody there is our target market.

7. JohnDF

May 14, 2018
    Sounds like a great time all around.

8. Horsewright

Oct 4, 2011
    Yes sir it is. Forgot to mention all slick horns too, no rubber. So some burning for sure!

9. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    That bar picture is really cool :D:cool:

I'd be there but it's 9000km or around 5700 miles from here :eek: and being aviophobic, can't take the plane:( You do some astounding knives and the whole atmosphere is authentic American, not some media or tourist fake-up :thumbsup:

Hope it goes well, and best to all of you attending.:cool:

Regards, Will

10. 5K Qs

5K Qs Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2014
    OK, I read this post and decided I'm not from the same planet! :eek::D:D ("3 man teams" actually made sense to me. :rolleyes:)
    Wishing everyone who attends a safe and enjoyable time! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

- GT

11. Sonnydaze

Sonnydaze Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Well, Dave, maybe in the next lifetime...I can do some of that stuff also. Surely looks like fun.
    Good luck and stay safe.
    Don

Horsewright likes this.
  12. eisman

eisman Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 9, 2009
    I used to spend a lot of time up that way before Paso Robles became Napa South. Still miss hunting Camp Roberts/Hunter Liggett.

I'll be back in SoCal that weekend, but only to attend a wedding. Then back to PNW for another job. Much as I miss California I love Western Washington more.

Good luck, and have some fun!

Horsewright likes this.
  13. r redden

r redden Gold Member Gold Member

May 23, 2015
    Dave your post on the cowboy life always puts a big ole smile on my face. I'm an old couch cowboy living out my western fantasies from re-runs of Bonanza, Have Gun Will Travel The Rifleman and so on. :D
    All kidding aside I love all the pictures I think you posted these last year and they're just as great the second time around not to mention those beautiful sheath knives you make. :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

14. Stropping Young Lad

Stropping Young Lad Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Really cool stuff! I live a couple miles from the longest running weekly rodeo in the US, and I once owned a Winchester 1873 clone... but that’s about as close as I come to being a cowboy!

Horsewright likes this.
  15. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    I always enjoy your Cowboy posts Dave :) Hope you're keeping well buddy :thumbsup:

Horsewright likes this.
  16. JohnDF

May 14, 2018
    I told my wife we were going to make plans to go to it next year. She's excited. She used to team rope also, so she was as interested as I was to hear about all the different loops and the point system. Can't wait to see some good roping. Make sure you post up an early warning next year :)

I've done a few ranch ropings in the past but there wasn't any point system. I was simply timed. Is that something new or was the one's I went to just more basic?

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018 at 12:55 PM
    Horsewright likes this.
  17. Horsewright

Oct 4, 2011
    OKay Gary @5K Qs Here's the translation. So most ropings are what is called team roping. Ya break out of a box after one cow as fast as ya can, the header heads the cow and takes a turn (dally from the Spanish to wrap around) around the rubber wrapped saddle horn to control the cow and turn him. The heeler comes in and just as the cow turns throws his heel shot. Both shots thrown are variations of the same swing called an over head swing. Our deal is completely different and thats what this post was about. In ranch roping there are many different swings and loops thrown. You'd dig it cause its all math, geometry, angles, intersecting points etc.. We start (in this event anyhoo) facing the cattle. There is a herd of twenty cattle at the other end of the arena. Each has a small paper number pasted to its side and I mean small like 2"x3" (I vote for the bifocal numbers next year!). At the midpoint of the arena is a chalk line across the center. This is the rodear line. One of the team members is the header. He/she must walk across that line and it starts the time. The announcer will call out your number as you cross the line. You must not leave the walk or the trot until you have headed that cow. This is called necked cause none of these cattle will have horns. Then if you need to lope or run to get short ya can do so but not till that cow is necked. Ya want to be relatively short (the distance between you and the cow) so that you can provide a better "handle" for your heeler. Meanwhile none of the other cattle can cross that rodear line so your team mates will be working to prevent that. One might sneak in to help you set up your shot too. If you miss, somebody else can head. All three team members must head one during one of the three goes. I mentioned several different shots and they are awarded points based on degree of difficulty. Certain shots work better with the cow going from right to leat, others better from left to right or straight away, or coming at you. So this is my wife Nichole throwing a Del Viento one of the turnover shots (12 points). Stan had missed his shot and was getting out of the way. This can be thrown on the head or the heels Here she is throwing it at the heels and I have it headed for her and am out of the frame to the left. This shot is better if the cow is standing still so thats me giving her a good handle for the shot she's gonna throw. This shot starts with a side arm swing, similar to a softball pitch.

[​IMG]

At its apex after she releases it, the loop will rotate over 180 degrees on its axis (hence the name turnover) and then it will go past the hip of the cow. At the right micro second she will give the spoke, still in her right hand a little tug and the top of the loop will come down on the cows right hip and the bottom strand of the loop will come in front of both heels from the right side. Told ya there was some math involved in this stuff! She's really good at it, I can about get the loop to turn over bout half the time.

[​IMG]

This loop above has already turned over and is starting its descent. If ya look really close at the hondo on her rope (the rawhide part that the rope passes through to form the loop) there is a little knob or button. Its now on the left side. When se started that knob was on the right side which ya can see in the first pic. She caught this time but didn't have a pic. Great shot and one of the most difficult and so receives the most points, 12. Minus one if she misses and only six points if she only catches one leg.

I referred to the holihan in the possessive my because it is my shot. One of my nicknames is "The Hoolihan Man". Its hard but not as hard as a turnover so its worth 9 points. But that is what I'll go in there to head with cause its my shot and I don't miss it very often. Cow is moving from your left to right and about a 45 degree angle past ya is just about perfect. Its kinda a crooked helicpoter swing from behind going forward coming down over your right side and elevated on your left side to clear the horse's head. I'll do a little more may later. Gotta get out the shop.

Thanks guys!!!

18. 5K Qs

5K Qs Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2014
    Thanks for the detailed explanation, Dave! :thumbsup::cool::cool: Seems like there are major skills required! :eek::)
    So, in the photos, is Nichole's goal to end up with the loop of her rope tight around both hind feet of the cow?
    Does this require the cow's cooperation to step into the loop, or does the thrower have to time things just right and get the loop over the cow's feet while the feet are off the ground for a second?? Yowza!

- GT

19. Horsewright

Oct 4, 2011
    Good deal @JohnDF ! Seems like its always the third weekend of Oct. There's a website too Brannaman Pro Am but they aren't super great at keeping parts of it updated. For instance the Vendor list is from 2014 or something. This is our fourth year as a vendor and still haven't made the vendors list. However they do keep the dates updated and sign ups is a happening deal. This thing fills up in about 4 or 5 minutes after opening. I had the form all filled out and watched the clock and kept hitting the submit button. Took right at the time and bam got in.

@5K Qs Ya bet. Yes she is wanting to get the rope around both hind feet and have it tight. So here I've just thrown a Hip Shot. This loop ends up similar to the Del Viento in that the top strand of the loop is over the cows hip on its right side and the bottom strand has passed through in front of both hind feet. Difference is that the Hip Shot is thrown from the cow's right side and not the left side like the Del Viento and it doesn't turn over. It too is a pretty difficult shot and is worth 9 points. Often when the rope settles on the cow it will startle it forward and the hind legs can jump into the loop. Or sometimes the cow can already be moving and it will step into a well placed loop. With the cow hanging back like in this pic its probable its not gonna jump so then the header will have to drag it forward into the loop. Dragging is the least favorite because the back toes don't move sometimes and they'll slide under that bottom strand instead of stepping into it. That'll screw up a perfectly good heel shot. We call it being "robbed". One advantage of the Hip Shot over all other heel shots is thrown very well, it will not only go in front of the back feet but continue to wrap around the hind legs due to momentum. It can literally be thrown so that no matter which direction the cow jumps it can step into that heel loop. Another great advantage is that it can be thrown at a distance whereas other shots might require you to be closer, something the cow may not agree upon.

[​IMG]

Nichole has made a heel shot and only came up with one. It happens a lot. We're move to 180 degrees or opposite each other. So that our ground crew can tail this one down. A wise man (me) once said catching the cow is the easy part its the handling of the cow after that is the tricky part and this is so.

[​IMG]

So here Logan has taken the neck rope off and put it around both front feet. Its important to oift up on the bottom foot when doing so as this crosses the feet and helps the rope to stay on. Here he is giving Katy his wife a little coaching on the handling of the horse and where she should be on him. Even though Katy grew up in big ranching country in eastern Oregon, she was a townie and had never even ridden a horse much till she got together with Logan. Now she's getting pretty handy. They are heading back to this area today after running a summer camp in Oregon for a ranch nearby here. 25,000 acres and 600 head, just the two of them. These shots were before they left in early August. So after he's done helping Katy he'll take the rope off of the hind leg and stick it on both crossing them too. Stardling the cow like this prevents her from kicking him (his left shin is up against that leg pushing it back so she can't kick). There's lots of ways of doing this but this eems to work best for us cause its also easy to reach the loop when ya need to.

[​IMG]

So here I'm doing the same thing. Logan has the head and Nichole the heels.

[​IMG]

Some old guy at the Pro Am a couple of years ago throwing that Hoolihan.

[​IMG]

Dallying around the horn to slow the cow to a stop. Wes our Pro is moving into position. There are 20 "Pros", very famous and experienced cowboys picked as a pro by Buck Brannnaman since its his gig. I'd never met Wes before (Thursday evening names of the pros are drawn out of a hat for each team. No shortage of hats by the way in this outfit. Turned out Wes is a long time customer. I've made him four or five knives over the years and two pairs of leggings. In fact Wes had just gotten married and his father in law had ordered matching knives and sheaths with the wedding date on the back of the sheath for the couple. Now we're roping together.

[​IMG]

So then I'll come out at the trot and Wes will take a shot. Having that front leg in the head loop in our deal is looked upon as a good thing as ya can't really choke the cow too much, it can breathe. Other types of ropings that can be a disqualified shot. See told ya we were different. Once the cow is headed the other team members do not have to worry about the rodear line anymore and the other cattle can cross it without losing any points.

[​IMG]

My other partner Janine got down and did the groundwork. When she stands up time is over. Plus 9 points if done under a minute and a half. Plus 6 if under 2 minutes, plus 3 if under 3 minutes and no time if over 4 minutes.

[​IMG]

Each member of the team must head once in the three goes so that means the old guy can't use his hoolihan anymore as its mostly a head shot. Got some other shots though, here is a sidearm.

[​IMG]

While we didn't make the finals (5 points out) I was pretty happy as I roped well and never had to get down to do the groundwork cause I didn't miss. Especially since I was just recovering from a double hernia surgery about four months prior.

It was also mentioned that no rubber was allowed on the saddle horns. Slick horns only. This pic shows my slick horn. Its wrapped in a horn wrap (another item we make and sell). We allow the rope to run around the horn acting more as a clutch then a brake. We keep adding wraps or dallies until the friction is great enough that it slows the cow to a stop. Rubber on the horn is a brake right now and many ropers that use rubber will only take half a dally whereas I might have 4 or 5 depending on the weight of the cow. Many ranch roping ropes are poly as is mine here. They can get really hot running around the horn or through your hand when you are going to the horn, thats why the roping glove. These horn wraps take a lot of wear and tear and get worn/burnt through which is why they are replaceable.

[​IMG]

Most team roping ropes are 28 to 30 feet in length. Rules here state that our ropes must be at least 50 ft in length. Mine is 60. Nichole carries 50 as it fits better in her smaller hand. This longer rope adds a whole nuther dimension to the space time continuum. Our good friend, who is roping in this for the first time is struggling with the the longer rope even though he is a very experienced roper with the shorter ones. Bout it I guess.

20. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Love your pics Dave :) :thumbsup:

Horsewright likes this.