CPK EDC2

I must say I'm a little disappointed if it's the same style sheaths as before. But it's the only complaint I have, so wth. ;) I can understand the arguments that they carry smaller, but in terms of versatility they don't count for much. It feels like a waste and I wish there was the option to order without sheath, since it ends up like very expensive product packaging for me and others that order custom sheaths right away.

I use the vertical carry sheath every day, and it's hands down one of the most functional sheaths I've every used with any knife. Having made a good number of sheaths myself over the years, I can think of no significant way to improve on its design, durability or performance. Haven't used the horizontal version, so I have no specific thoughts regarding its design.

As for the feedback that the Dozier sheaths are expensive packaging....well, they're not. They're sheaths. They work as intended. And, that's my 2 cents regarding that.

I use the vertical carry sheath every day, and it's hands down one of the most functional sheaths I've every used with any knife. Having made a good number of sheaths myself over the years, I can think of no significant way to improve on its design, durability or performance. Haven't used the horizontal version, so I have no specific thoughts regarding its design.

As for the feedback that the Dozier sheaths are expensive packaging....well, they're not. They're sheaths. They work as intended. And, that's my 2 cents regarding that.
Definitely agree, a $50 Sheath included with your purchase equals Good Deal IMO:thumbsup:

Removing the sheath from the order doesn't reduce the order by the cost of the sheath because some of it is offset by the additional packaging required to safely ship a bare knife. I know many makers simply use a cardboard sleeve, but this sleeve is easily defeated if a box is dropped the wrong way or crushed. When you're shipping 1000 knives a year a once in a thousand occurrence actually happens. Knives and postal carriers can be damaged. You don't want damaged postal carriers limping around your neighborhood and bleeding on your mail. So our sleeves are made here and include folds, tape and zip ties. It's a pain in the ass and a time suck, but that's what it takes to do it right. But clicking a knife into the very nice custom sheath that was made for it works very well.

There are instances where we do still ship bare blades, but as a general rule I'm avoiding the practice. Knives need sheaths and we provide good sheaths with our knives. I know it's not possible to please everybody all of the time, but I think most people are well served by this. If it's a one-off and we never had a run of sheaths made for it or if it's a large piece where the sheath is actually quite expensive we still usually offer the knife without a sheath but going forward the little knives will usually come with one standard.

^ Nathan to give you some feedback, I've had two instances when the package showed up with knives which I had ordered without sheaths, whereas a sheath was either an option or not an option, with two out of the three zip-ties sliced cleanly by the wickedly sharp edges with the zip-tie around the handle still holding.

Further, I can attest that while using the zip-tie method inside a cardboard although adds extra surety, it is a PITA to finagle around a bare blade since I also emulated your method of using zip-ties when I have shipped without a sheath, although I have not mastered it as cleanly as you guys do at CPK ;)

Last edited:
I'm happy with anything from mashed cat or dozier! A knife of this caliber with a high quality, functional sheath to boot? Win/win. Just increases the value imo! Kills me to get a knife I've been waiting for only to have up send it out for a sheath when all I want to do is get out and about with my new knife!!!

I did not get a vertical sheath for my EDC but I do like the horizontal Dozier kydex. Being able to remove the knife and sheath without taking off the belt is a nice. The only change I would make would be to move the "thumb ramp" slightly back towards the opening, have the option to remove the belt clip, and maybe a clean out. Yet, kydex is kydex and ugly no matter how you form it together. I might stick a leather panel on mine.

I assume the EDC2 sheaths will be similar and after buying knives for years that included NO sheath... I am happy with whatever comes and know at least some thought was put into the sheaths design

What I said was that it ended up as expensive packaging for ME, and I had hoped for a more flexible sheath. The Doziers are fine sheaths, but they force you to use them in one (or possibly two) ways; on the belt. I don't carry knives that way, hence could just as well throw it away like wrapping paper, which I think is a waste.

Mashed cat etc with a gclip can be used on the belt vertical, horizontal, IWB, OWB, ITP, mounted on molle, as a neck knife, right handed, left handed, etc. They're probably more expensive but the versatility is worth so much more than having a slightly smaller footprint, for ME. Again just my 5c.

...that's my 2 cents regarding that.

... just my 5c.

I empathize with many of the presented perspectives, however I encourage the BF/CPK community to examine the greater concern here, which is how it now requires 5c American to equal 2c Canadian even in a written debate. Our economy: WTF?

On a more positive note, I am thankful that there is sheath good enough to encourage people to wear testicle covering attire, even if only because it has loops that enable use of a belt for knife carrying.

Given the Fed's rate hike, I believe my opinion is currently valued at 4c.

I empathize with many of the presented perspectives, however I encourage the BF/CPK community to examine the greater concern here, which is how it now requires 5c American to equal 2c Canadian even in a written debate. Our economy: WTF?

On a more positive note, I am thankful that there is sheath good enough to encourage people to wear testicle covering attire, even if only because it has loops that enable use of a belt for knife carrying.

Given the Fed's rate hike, I believe my opinion is currently valued at 4c.

I think the value of any expressed opinion will correlate with one's income, (notice mine's low, as it's value is also driven down via NAFTA) given the new bill and a shiny, new unregulated internet

I think the value of any expressed opinion will correlate with one's income, (notice mine's low, as it's value is also driven down via NAFTA) given the new bill and a shiny, new unregulated internet

Ok, so let’s ask the resident Baller what we’re getting.

So what will it be betzner betzner ?

Yikes. Not a fan of the Dozier sheaths for the EDC at all. Months of daily carry (rotating between the Dozier and one of custom Kydex from Rainwalker Creations) have not been able to convince me otherwise. Unless the integrated loop has been dropped and spacing/support for Tek-Lok has been added. My biggest gripe with the Dozier is having to draw the blade using the heel of the palm, else repositioning post draw. The Dozier is definitely not ergonomic and certainly not as utilitarian as advertised. But it is what it is, which ultimately means another $100 or so I have to allocate towards a pair of Rainwalkers or MCs.

Last edited:
I hate tek locks. The dozier sheaths I have for the EDC are the best kydex I have. The horizontal sheath is the only great cross draw sheath I have. I'm actually relieved the sheaths stayed somewhat the same.

On the same note, people who buy knives like this generally don't mind paying for a custom sheath from a third party. Sagewood gear comes to mind. These are lifelong tools so getting some custom leather for it isn't really that big of a deal.

So Dozier made all these sheaths for free, the value was not added into the price of the edc2...Carothers ate the cost?
Of course not, read post #243 for the explanation of why a sheath is included! Believe the EDC 2 Pre-order and yesterdays sale both say The Price Includes a Good Kydex Sheath! I can't find where it states these are available without a sheath! If the Sheath is not to your liking, simply dispose of it and contact your favorite sheath maker!

Of course not, read post #243 for the explanation of why a sheath is included! Believe the EDC 2 Pre-order and yesterdays sale both say The Price Includes a Good Kydex Sheath! I can't find where it states these are available without a sheath! If the Sheath is not to your liking, simply dispose of it and contact your favorite sheath maker!
Removing the sheath from the order doesn't reduce the order by the cost of the sheath because some of it is offset by the additional packaging required to safely ship a bare knife. I know many makers simply use a cardboard sleeve, but this sleeve is easily defeated if a box is dropped the wrong way or crushed. When you're shipping 1000 knives a year a once in a thousand occurrence actually happens. Knives and postal carriers can be damaged. You don't want damaged postal carriers limping around your neighborhood and bleeding on your mail. So our sleeves are made here and include folds, tape and zip ties. It's a pain in the ass and a time suck, but that's what it takes to do it right. But clicking a knife into the very nice custom sheath that was made for it works very well.

There are instances where we do still ship bare blades, but as a general rule I'm avoiding the practice. Knives need sheaths and we provide good sheaths with our knives. I know it's not possible to please everybody all of the time, but I think most people are well served by this. If it's a one-off and we never had a run of sheaths made for it or if it's a large piece where the sheath is actually quite expensive we still usually offer the knife without a sheath but going forward the little knives will usually come with one standard.
I see, I see....Good deal!

If the Sheath is not to your liking, simply dispose of it and contact your favorite sheath maker!

exactly. Griping about it is pointless. It's a good sheath that works. I challenge anyone to design one which is better that can be had for the same price- the value of CPKs almost make the sheath a freebie, if you compare apples to apples.

I'm sure there are more people out there who'd like to pick up a spare or alternate sheath on the secondary market than there are those who just can't stand their sheath, which creates a pretty decent market for peeps who'd rather spend their money on something more high end.

Back