CPK modifications

Lorien

Nose to the Grindstone
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Let me start out by saying that I don't encourage you to go out and make modifications to your CPKs.
That being said, it is kind of fun to take a knife and customize it a little bit, whether that means polishing it up, making your own sheath or whatever.

I made an inside pocket sheath a number of years ago for a knife that Wilfred Leavitt made for me, and recently found that my EDC fits pretty well in it.

The EDC works really well without scales, but it's obviously not as comfortable, so today I wrapped that sucker up;

Even got a little palm swell wrapped in;

Any of you modified your CPK? Let's see it!

That seems like a perfect candidate for a paracord wrap.
The palm swell is awesome!

The only mod I might try is filing the pommel on the FK for a better strike.

Here's how I modified my Field Knife in order to take advantage of the chisel as a striker. You could likely get enough of a burr on the edge here to make a striker in the field using a rock. I used a diamond file and put those little grooves there so it would track the striker rod and not slip off. If you do this mod, please keep the knife in the sheath while you use it!

Yeah that's the ticket!
I forgot that it was you that did this mod also.

I like to carry a cutter with me this time of year when I'm out mountain biking, since the stormy weather tends to bring a fair amount of shrapnel to the trail.

The LC was designed to be just such a tool; light enough to carry, but burly enough to do the job. Still, with the thick scales and the fasteners, the LC as built is a little on the heavy side for biking. Also, the handle is nice and meaty, but that takes up extra space in a pack which doesn't have much to begin with.

Before the handle was wrapped, I removed about .1" of material from the top and bottom of it with my grinder. I built up a palm swell with leather glued to the tang and contoured it with my EDC :) There's also a layer of butyl rubber under there.

I built an aluminum scabbard for this prototype LC, which SHOULD be burly enough to keep the knife from causing damage if I land on it.

no epoxy, don't wanna do anything permanent with the wrap cuz I might want to change it and/or make further mods once I start using it like this
definitely not as comfy in hand as a proper handle, but it's substantially lighter and more packable this way

Just wondering if you have problems with the cords moving around on long sections of spiral wrap.

You could always apply some CA glue (brush on kind) in a few spots here and there to get the cords to bond to each other without bonding to the blade. I secure the ends of lanyards that way sometimes to keep them from untying.

Here's a small sheath plate mod that I threw together to make it easier for left hand carry.
I went through my box of brokens and found a Nite Ize clip from a flashlight holster. I drilled a center hole into it and mounted it to a scrap piece of kydex.
It's decent and it still swivels.
98c84fbabac1e3e174486e5fa10f55ca.jpg

40cb9d5964e5f40cc32e343319d9f38e.jpg

575f0e38ca9d62c4af7e2bf34a3b64e5.jpg

606ac3f6bb60277ccd434f64813c35bb.jpg

My only issue is that it spaces the knife off of my belt quite a bit.

Hey all,
I have an EDC coming my way. I am already contemplating the set of scales I want to put on it. Instead of simply (huh! "simply", he says!) duplicating the existing scales in size and shape, I am thinking of doing a set of fairly thin ones, maybe just 3/16" at the thickest, and not nearly as contoured - a little more than a slab. The idea being to make a very slim necker out of it. This idea is prior to actually having the knife in my possession, so disregard it this is just ludicrous.

Thoughts?

Hey all,
I have an EDC coming my way. I am already contemplating the set of scales I want to put on it. Instead of simply (huh! "simply", he says!) duplicating the existing scales in size and shape, I am thinking of doing a set of fairly thin ones, maybe just 3/16" at the thickest, and not nearly as contoured - a little more than a slab. The idea being to make a very slim necker out of it. This idea is prior to actually having the knife in my possession, so disregard it this is just ludicrous.

Thoughts?

I think you are right on the money. The EDC was designed specifically to wear different outfits

As delivered, the handle is awesome. It's the kind of knife you can use for extended periods of time, and not pay a price wrt comfort

when Nathan and I met at Blade to talk about the EDC, the idea came up to offer an EDC/LC set. The EDC being presented either with very thin, largely flat, scales or a cord wrap to keep the weight manageable and and option to piggyback the sheath on the table

at some point down the road, I'm going to pick up some carbon fiber from that Diskin character and hack away at it until I have something resembling a handle. It'll be thin like that cord wrap so as to fit into my pocket sheath, which has become my favourite way to carry this knife while at work

I think you could give it a go Tony.

Personally I would love to see a thin handle option on one of the steels down the road. Hopefully combine that with a thin leather pocket sheath and weight wise it seems doable, but at the same time if there is an EDC inspired folder on the way then I will be plenty happy with that.

IMO it's not really light and small but it weighs less than Mr. T's chains!

I pity da foo!

Back