CPK & shotguns

I’ll throw the zombie load-out in here as well…

TEwdurdl.jpg

I just looked up some Federal FliteControl… it is like over $2 a shell. What the heck. I have been out of the game for too long. And with these prices I may just stay out.
Shooting is expensive for sure. Those rounds can be had for considerably less if you shop around / wait for deals. But that’s also defensive ammo…not stuff you’re going to burn up target shooting.

for anyone who enjoys target practice ... and just general use, have you compared 12ga vs 20ga?

seems most ammo for 20ga is half the price, or less, which is really nice
honestly can't see a reasonable situation where 20ga 'isn't enough', but curious to hear peoples opinions/experiences : )

D dirc , I haven’t shot a shell through a 12ga. in probably 15 years and almost always use a 20ga. I say almost because I also have a 16ga. and a .410 to use lol. I shoot clays with friends, hunt grouse, rabbits, squirrels, crows, pheasants and shoot barn pigeons. I’ve never needed more firepower, but that’s understandable in my current situation.

I don’t turkey hunt but wouldn’t have an issue using a 20ga at all. A deer will die just as fast from a 20ga slug as it will from a 12ga and you’ll do it cheaper, with less recoil. I wouldn’t leave the 12ga home though if I was duck or goose hunting, that’s where I’d want the extra pellets and down range velocity.

If hunting is totally out of the equation and you’re just gonna be shooting targets, clay pigeons, pop cans, dead limbs out of trees etc, you won’t need a 12ga. For home protection, a 20ga will work perfect as well.

D dirc , I haven’t shot a shell through a 12ga. in probably 15 years and almost always use a 20ga. I say almost because I also have a 16ga. and a .410 to use lol. I shoot clays with friends, hunt grouse, rabbits, squirrels, crows, pheasants and shoot barn pigeons. I’ve never needed more firepower, but that’s understandable in my current situation.

I don’t turkey hunt but wouldn’t have an issue using a 20ga at all. A deer will die just as fast from a 20ga slug as it will from a 12ga and you’ll do it cheaper, with less recoil. I wouldn’t leave the 12ga home though if I was duck or goose hunting, that’s where I’d want the extra pellets and down range velocity.

If hunting is totally out of the equation and you’re just gonna be shooting targets, clay pigeons, pop cans, dead limbs out of trees etc, you won’t need a 12ga. For home protection, a 20ga will work perfect as well.

A Honda will get you there cheaper and more comfortably. ;) (just messing!)

yeah, 16ga really is a sweet spot of sorts... wish it was more popular, but it seems hardly anything is 16ga these days

why is that?

It just kinda fell to the wayside with 12’s and 20’s becoming standard offerings for a lot of guns. Comparing shot size and weight you don’t lose a lot from a 12ga but you don’t really gain a lot jumping up from the 20ga.

I also read an article before that the 16ga wasn’t included as a “legal” guage to use in skeet or trap so most attention for load developments went toward 12’s and 20’s. At least the 16 didn’t go obsolete, there’s too many guns out there that shoot it, plus manufacturers are now slowly bringing it back. I looked at a CZ Bobwhite double a couple years ago and am still thinking about it!

I've always owned and shot 12 gauge. 12 gauge has more types of loads available than any other gauge, at least around here it does.
Many years ago I had 10 and 12 gauge, but got excited hearing about the existence of 8 and 4. Even my younger self could see that those wouldn't be practical just from the point of view of buying or making ammo.

Back