CPK steels D2/3V/4V

I know that CPK uses specific HT protocol to optimize the steel they use
I was wondering if someone has tried their D2 /cpm3V and 4V

What are your observations concerning the CPK versus standard HT if these steels

Thanks

D2: holds an edge WAY better than industry standard. Seems more corrosion resistant and is easier to sharpen. Takes a scary edge pretty easily for me.

D3V: more corrosion resistant, greater toughness, easier to sharpen. Not much different than a really good HT from other makers in edge holding from what I've experienced.... which is pretty good all around. On par with S30V which is good for me. Especially at the level of toughness.

4V: better edge holding and easier to sharpen than a good industry HT, corrosion resistance might be a little better but there really isn't much to speak of. It's between 80CRV2 and A2 maybe? Can't speak of the toughness because I really haven't tested it but the edge stability is amazing. I have a fine edge and it holds up amazing. Edge holding in general for this steel is superb but it's the hardest of the lot to sharpen for me.

Thank you for the info
I would love to see a side by side video comparison of cpk D2 vs industry D2 and same thing for 3v
Would be interesting

Cpk knives d3v is heads and tails above s30v in edge retention. It's the best edge retention of any knife I have used. S90v, m4, s30v, infi etc. Its amazing stuff.

To be fair it is the only CPK steel I have used though

I’ll agree with what pbubsy said and strongly second the opinion on the corrosion resistance of 4V, or lack there of.

I need to find someone to acid bath mine. It’s getting spotty just sitting on a shelf. Haven’t even had the chance to use it yet. Spring is here though so it will be time soon.

I haven’t a single doubt it will outperform D3V in the LC pattern as Nathan has said that will be the case so I am very excited to see what it can do.

I’ll agree with what pbubsy said and strongly second the opinion on the corrosion resistance of 4V, or lack there of.

I need to find someone to acid bath mine. It’s getting spotty just sitting on a shelf. Haven’t even had the chance to use it yet. Spring is here though so it will be time soon.

I haven’t a single doubt it will outperform D3V in the LC pattern as Nathan has said that will be the case so I am very excited to see what it can do.

How many different knives were offered in 4V ?

Just to be clear, the Competition Chopper will be in E4V which is the Bohler Uddelhom "equivalent" steel to CPM's 4V. I did not mention that in my response, because:

1- it's not exactly 4V

2- Your question was in past tense

:)

Back