CPM 154-CM Steel ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not familiar with this steel any comments for education before purchasing a blade made with this steel?

How does it compare to CPM S30V?

Thanks in advance.

154cm is a great all around steel. It will not hold an edge as long as s30v but it is much easier to sharpen, and will take just as good and sharp of and edge. It will also take a high shine, unlike s30v.

The "CPM" has to due in how the metal was made.

Same constituent elements, just made into a metal product differently.

Think D2 vs CPM-D2.

Not familiar with this steel any comments for education before purchasing a blade made with this steel?

How does it compare to CPM S30V?

Thanks in advance.

CPM S30V will hold edge much better.

There are two different steels CPM 154 and 154CM. Some websites - like TAD Gear present ZT200 as a CPM 154CM blade, which is misleading. ZT200 has 154 CM steel not CPM154.

CPM 154 is new version of old good 154CM - it is same steel but made using Powder Metallurgy (PM) process to make finer grain structure.

Us I understand:
CM means Crucible Metallurgy - trade mark.
CPM means Crucible Powder Metallurgy - also trade mark.

Thanks, Vassili.

154CM was named when it was developed by Climax, so it is unlikely CM standards for Crucible. It more likely stands for Climax Metallurgical or Chromium Molybdenum, since it's not much of a stretch to think the original composition may have had 15% chromium.

CPM is actually Crucible Partical Metallurgy .It's made a little differently than the powder metal types .The carbides of CPM 154 are smaller and more evenly distributed than those of 154CM though the chemistry of both is the same. The CPM version is better for both maker and user at a slightly higher cost. 154CM means Climax Molybdenum the company who developed the steel.ATS-34 is the Japanese copy. They are all fine blade steels.

I'm not a metallurgist or scientist, I can only speak on personal experiences with standard S30V and 154CM. The S30V does appear to hold an edge "a tad" longer, but it is certainly more difficult to sharpen, AND, I can get a slightly finer edge with 154CM. Maybe that's because it's easier to sharpen, but no matter how I try, I cannot get quite the same razor sharpness out of S30V as 154CM.

So.......based on my experiences and preference for 154CM, my personal tastes would lean toward CPM 154 over CPM S30V, even though the CPM S30V may be a tougher and more durable steel.

CPM S30V requires diamond powder to make it hair whittling sharp while CPM 154 does not. But I got both this steel (as well as any other) to whittle hair - which is 20g sharpness on thread cutting statistical test.

Thanks, Vassili.

I have read several places that cpm154 is easier to finish. I remember reading that William Henry Knives decided not to use S30V because WH customers expected an attractive finish. So 154 looks better, but S30V functions better.

The 4 % vanadium in the S30V makes for very wear resistant carbides .That's why you rarely see S30V blades highly polished !!

The 4 % vanadium in the S30V makes for very wear resistant carbides .That's why you rarely see S30V blades highly polished !!

Here the one of first CPM S30V models Buck 819 SS

buck819SS-13.jpg

buck819SS-10.jpg

But this is Buck... Unfortunately many manufacturers refuse to even make knives out of something like CPM S90V or CPM S125V because it is too good.

Thanks, Vassili.

I believe 154CM is the US version of ATS34. I think CPM is the manufacturer.

My 154 blades hang right in with my S30V blades and tend to get sharper with just ceramic sticks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back