CPM 3V Steel

Well I just got done ordering myself a Fehrman Peacemaker. Should be here in a few weeks. :D Excited to say the least.

My questions are:
1. How hard is CPM 3V to sharpen?
2. Is there a method that I should or shouldn't use over another?
3. Is it like sharpening D2 or S30V?
4. Can it be sharpened in the field very easy?

I ask this because this will be my first experience with this steel.

I did do a search first and didn't find anything but if this was covered already please just send me a link.

Thanks again for the help.
Flatlander

CPM-3V is like S30V but not stainless. The lower alloy content should also make it tougher in comparison. I don't think you'll have much trouble sharpening compared to D2 or S30V. Believe me, unless vanadium content goes above 4%, sharpening isn't an issue for most steels.

CPM 3V is much, much better than S30V, IMO. They're not even in the same league, but keep in mind I hate S30V, so that probably biases me against it. 3V is very tough, and very easy to sharpen, it reminds me of 52100 in it's ability to take a great edge with minimal burring. Much quicker than D2 to sharpen as well. I like to use ceramics to sharpen it if it's not too dull, or else DMT's followed by ceramics.

Congratulations, the PM is one of the best that Fehrman offers, great ergonomics!

i do not know, ask the people at strider lol. at the end it talks about resharpening the edge and it cleaned up WELL with almost no damage

This is what i did to my Strider DB in CPM-3V.
The slanted edge was reprofiled to a 45 degree inclusive zero edge on a Tormek T7 (SB-250 Black Silicon stone) and "polished" up to 15 micron 3M diamond paste, while the straight edge was reprofiled to a 30 degrees inclusive edge on a Wicked Edge sharpener (diamond stones) and polished up to 6 micron 3M diamond paste.
Both edges can treetop armhair and the straight edge can even whittle hair on some spots.
The 3V steel sharpens to a very crisp edge and is noticeably easier to work with than S30V.

GEDC1915.jpg

GEDC1913.jpg

GEDC1912.jpg

GEDC1910.jpg

A few close-ups with my cheapie camera:

GEDC1906.jpg

GEDC1903.jpg

GEDC1905.jpg

The difference between 15 micron & 6 micron;

GEDC1904.jpg

Back