CPM D2, layered carbon fiber and orange G-10 slabs, stone wash.....

Very nice ! Love the blue liner in constrast with the orange.
The carbon fiber weave in the middle of the handle is great, too. Never seen something like that.
Very nice shaped blade, too

Nice looking knife! If you don't mind me asking, what is the advantage of CPM-D2 over forged D2? I understand the powder metal process resulting in more uniform grain structure, but I thought the performance wasn't much different than conventional D2 as far as edge retention, etc.? Is it easier to sharpen, or more rust resistant? I couldn't fond the datasheet for it on Crucible's web site.

Nice looking knife! If you don't mind me asking, what is the advantage of CPM-D2 over forged D2? I understand the powder metal process resulting in more uniform grain structure, but I thought the performance wasn't much different than conventional D2 as far as edge retention, etc.? Is it easier to sharpen, or more rust resistant? I couldn't fond the datasheet for it on Crucible's web site.

It's my understanding that the finer grain structure allows for better corrosion resistance. The CPM version also takes a nicer finish in my opinion, at least when you're talking about a satin finish.

Awesome combo. The materials and finish chosen really makes it stand out.

Thanks for sharing

It's my understanding that the finer grain structure allows for better corrosion resistance. The CPM version also takes a nicer finish in my opinion, at least when you're talking about a satin finish.
Better corrosion resistance is worth it in my book, although I'm not familiar with the cost difference between the two. Almost sounds like it would be a good steel to get a santoku made in for the wife. Am I right in thinking that it's easier to work with, also?

This looks fantastic Jon! Really like the handle material combo here as most of said. I have some of this material around and have not used it yet but it looks great so I better get on it. Also, on the CPM D2 there is a significant improvement in the toughness which makes the CPM D2 tougher than A2. Good stuff!

Eric

Back