CPM m4 vs CPM cruwear

Yes if one looks at the Ankerson tests I posted S30V can be surprisingly good and durable TOTALLY DEPENDS ON THE HEAT TREAT and THE GEOMETRY. S30V is way up the list with "the good stuff".
And pretty far down the list if soft tempered and fat angled.
Yea I've read ALOT of mixed reviews on S30v and seen a lot of ppl I trust say nothing but good thing about it when done right. My only experience with it has been awful though. I may give it another try in the future but I doubt it will be anytime soon. Got too many other steels on my list to get.

trying to find out as much as I can about these two steels. So far I understand m4 wins in edge holding and cruwear for toughness but would like to compare the two a little more and learn about these two. I think they would both make a perfect knife with a blade around 4 inches but just trying to figure out if these steels are as good as I've heard or if it's all hype.
apples and oranges here. M4 is made for mills and drill bits. high hardness, heat resistant, fragile. Cru-wear is made for plastic processing, industrial knives(the kind that change tires to mulch). not as hard, not as heat resistant, good toughness and wear resistance. both are very high in carbides, so neither would be happy as low angle, very thin slicers. both are a bugger bear to sharpen. you would do better getting the same size in 52100 or 1095 or AEB-L or 440C.

apples and oranges here. M4 is made for mills and drill bits. high hardness, heat resistant, fragile. Cru-wear is made for plastic processing, industrial knives(the kind that change tires to mulch). not as hard, not as heat resistant, good toughness and wear resistance. both are very high in carbides, so neither would be happy as low angle, very thin slicers. both are a bugger bear to sharpen. you would do better getting the same size in 52100 or 1095 or AEB-L or 440C.

While I agree that M4 is a bugger bear (is that a bear performing buggery in you) to reprofile, especially freehand; I actually have had a fairly easy time touching up an already properly profiled edge.

That said my experience wasn't with custom m4 pieces taken to maximum hardness. Just a GB1 and an Air

Back