CPM Magnacut Hunter/Skinner Set

TK Steingass

Knifemaker - Buckeye
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
My first Magnacut knives - the material was given to me by a special knife maker and friend. I was able to squeeze two hidden tang knives out of the bar. These are my interpretation of the Wayne Clay Alaska/Safari Skinner and Walker Special Hunter. I decided to heat treat these knives to Rc 63-64 since they're being used to cut connective tissue and the grain structure in this amazing steel is so fine. All comments welcome.

.150" Magnacut stock
HT to Rc 63-54
Skinner 8 3/4" OAL - 4 1/4" BL
Hunter 8 1/4" OAL - 3 7/8" BL
Hollow ground blades
220 Grit belt satin finish
Stabilized fiddleback Bastogne Walnut
Radiussed spines with thumb serrations
Soldered guards
Stainless fittings with black G-10 spacer

Magnacut-Knives.jpg

magnacut-sheaths.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks to all for the kind feedback! :)

Simply beautiful! These are perfect examples of why I like hidden tangs. Great job!!

this is one of my favourite pieces I've seen you post over the years. I love the concept of the tandem sheath and the option for single, which I assume fits either knife, and the purpose built nature of the knife set itself. That the handles are the same but different.

It usually is obvious to me when a knife maker really knows the subject for which their knives are designed. Those are the knives that I like- I'm drawn to them instantly, regardless of the subject behind their design.
:thumbsup:

this is one of my favourite pieces I've seen you post over the years. I love the concept of the tandem sheath and the option for single, which I assume fits either knife, and the purpose built nature of the knife set itself. That the handles are the same but different.

It usually is obvious to me when a knife maker really knows the subject for which their knives are designed. Those are the knives that I like- I'm drawn to them instantly, regardless of the subject behind their design.
:thumbsup:
Thanks for the in-depth comments on this design Lorien - you definitely caught all the design elements. Many years ago in the North Maine Woods I dragged a buck I killed out of a swamp, one mile up-hill to my truck. I can't do that any more, so I thought a light set that would let a hunter quarter a deer and walk out with it on his pack frame would be just the ticket.

There's a lot to be said for a hollow ground, heavy, .200" ricasso knife with a tapered tang but this set is a whole different direction. I wanted thin knives that slice like a scalpel, and went for a hidden tang to lighten them up even more. And that fine grained Magnacut has the edge stability one would want for a Rc 63-64 tempered knife. These are not hard use knives, but as you said, they are "purpose driven" in their design.

Thanks for the in-depth comments on this design Lorien - you definitely caught all the design elements. Many years ago in the North Maine Woods I dragged a buck I killed out of a swamp, one mile up-hill to my truck. I can't do that any more, so I thought a light set that would let a hunter quarter a deer and walk out with it on his pack frame would be just the ticket.

There's a lot to be said for a hollow ground, heavy, .200" ricasso knife with a tapered tang but this set is a whole different direction. I wanted thin knives that slice like a scalpel, and went for a hidden tang to lighten them up even more. And that fine grained Magnacut has the edge stability one would want for a Rc 63-64 tempered knife. These are not hard use knives, but as you said, they are "purpose driven" in their design.
Beautiful set TK.

If only more people realized how amazing a knife can be at being a knife and nothing else. These "hard use" knives that are attempting to serve double duty often suck at all intended tasks. There are very limited exceptions.

No matter, wonderfully designed and executed set of knives with obvious intentions. Well done.

Back