CPM-S30V vs CPM-3V

CPM-S30V vs CPM-3V

What are your thoughts about theses two steels for a small fixed blade (less than 3")

At this moment I'm leaning towards S30V. According to well known table 3V wins in toughness, but in such a small knife (< 3") I don't think it will be a big win for me.
Again, in the table, S30V wins in wear resistance, but looking at the bars the difference is not huge.
S30V more rust resistant than 3V, which is a big plus for S30V.

The problem is that I have a lot of experience with S30V, but not so much with 3V. If you have used both for extended period of time, please share your thoughts.

CPM-06.jpg

Last edited:
Both are different animal. S30V is stainless steel, while 3V is not.
I don't think S30V is more wear resistance than 3V. For less then 3" blade you can't go wrong with S30V.

I'm very biased towards 3V, but rust is not a concern at all, since I live in an arid environment. I've never yet (knock on wood) had a 3V knife with bad heat treat, they have all been outstanding in edge retention, easily beating my S30V knives by a very large margin. YMMV.

Can't go wrong with any CPM knife steel. Basically their tool steel line is solid.

So basically edge retention is about the same... Right?
And it comes down to rust resistance vs abuse resistance?

S30V is certainly more wear resistant than 3V . For a large chopper 3V is better as it's tougher but for a small knife S30V is a better choice.

I love S30V for my EDC knives.
I've got many S30V folders, and find that they perform real well.
On an outdoor knife, you'd have to go 3V, though. It is an overall tougher steel, and more suitable for heavy duty work.

Back in the days, before S30V, People could only dream of having a stainless steel with such great wear resistance, edge retention and ease of sharpening. I know when I got my first S30V knife (Spyderco Military), I was amazed by it.

Back