cpm vs 1095 lateral stress

how would a 1/4" thick 1095 knife stack up to a 3/16 thick 3v knife in a lateral stress test? how much tuffer is 3v? and we are assuming the knife is the exact same design. lets use a bk2 for example. if they made a 3v 3/16 version, would it be tuffer or wouldn't be able to compete with that little thicker 1095. could u get it down to a 1/8" in 3v and still be as tuff 1/4" 1095?

A 1/4" bar of something is 2 times stiffer than a 3/16" bar of the same thing, so that is something to deal with before comparing alloys or starting to grind away metal. And are you concerned about flexing, bending, or fracturing?

im concerned with fracturing and bending to a point where it will not return to original state.

Assuming all the usual things (proper HT, no pre-existing cracks, no stress risers etc), you'd have to try pretty hard to break a 5" blade of 3/16" or 1/4" stock, no matter which steel it's made of, except maybe by aggressively prying with the very tip.

3V is a good deal tougher than 1095 at the same hardness, so you might very well be able to achieve the same durability in 3/16", but I can't say for absolute certain. I do know that 3V at 3/16" thick with a full flat grind will take one heck of a pounding - far beyond what I would consider normal knife use - without breaking or taking a set . Honestly, I'm not entirely sure why any knife that short "needs" to be 1/4" thick.

Back