CQB-1 Scan & First Impression

I got my hands on a CUDA-Terzuola CQB-1 today. CQB = Close Quarters Battle. Your mission, if you choose to accept it, is to come up with a politically correct alternate spelling-out of that abbreviation (something meaningless like CUDA Quantum Blade?).
wink.gif

Click on the small picture for the big picture.
<A HREF="http://www.chaicutlery.com/Camillus/CUDA-CQB.jpg" TARGET=_blank>
CUDA-CQB-small.jpg
</A>
(1024w "wallpaper size" image)

The "CUDA Slik-Matte" finish is non-reflective, but much more pleasing to the eye, and probably easier to keep clean, than the bead blast on the current CUDA folders. The grip is comfortable - unscientific survey of me and one of the ladies in our office. Very sharp out of the box. Feels solid. The top edge is not sharp, and not sharpenable without power tools, but it could easily be mistaken for a "dirk or dagger," a consideration of you plan on using that IWB carry strap they supply.

The sheath is from Blade-Tech, the same place that does the very similar sheath for the Spyderco Moran. Very versatile carrying system, multiple positions. I have one nit to pick with both the CQB sheath and the Spyderco Moran sheath, namely that when you push off with your thumb the two halves of the sheath pull away from each other and then snap back, pinching your thumb. This effect can be made less annoying with a minute or two of scraping the inside edges of the kydex with the point of a small knife to create a bevel in place of that sharp right angle.

The black canvas micarta grips are have a terribly practical tactical non-slip blasted finish that is just begging me to touch them up with a sanding belt, and then some hand-sanding, and 0000 steel wool. I'd be tempted to go totally un-tactical, but the idea of buffing anything with a blade that sharp scares me.
wink.gif

------------------
- JKM
www.chaicutlery.com
AKTI Member # SA00001

[This message has been edited by James Mattis (edited 08 December 1999).]

Thanks for the scan, James. This is a really nice looking fixed blade! Can't wait to get mine
smile.gif

------------------
Dexter Ewing
Knife Reviews Moderator
AKTI Member # A000005

James,

Thanks for the scans and analysis. You have done such a superb work in sharing the up-to-date knowledge with us.

I like the Nimravus better as a using knife, at least as long as I never go near a "close quarters battle." I'm not a big fan of double grinds. However, Benchmade should, in my humble opinion, do as Camillus and Spyderco have done and go to Blade-Tech for their Kydex or Concealex sheaths. I also like the bolted and epoxied micarta on the CQB-1 better than the removable G10 on the Nimravus with the deeply countersunk bolts.

If I'm going into the woods, I think I'd take a Fallkniven F1 or S1 before I took either of the above. I'm looking forward to the revival over at Camillus of the Becker camp knife line.

------------------
- JKM
www.chaicutlery.com
AKTI Member # SA00001

This knife looks very much like the M-30 knife made by Terzuola and sold through the Cutlery Shoppe in Boise Idaho. Is this similarity because Bob T. designed both knives?

Bruce Woodbury

Fold a strip of cardboard over the edge and tape it on before you buff the handle. I trust cardboard better than a few layers of masking tape.

------------------
-Cougar Allen :{)
--------------------------------------
This post is not merely the author's opinions; it is the trrrrrruth. This post is intended to cause dissension and unrest and upset people, and ultimately drive them mad. Please do not misinterpret my intentions in posting this.

Sure looks like a great knife. Can anyone tell me where the balance point is? My guess is that it would be behind (rather than on) the index finger notch unless Camillus did some cutouts on the tang...

Thanks for the info...

------------------
Daniel

Daniel,
The CQB-1 was designed by Bob T to balance on the forward finger groove. We went to GREAT pains to ensure that the production kinife turned out that way. Bob is happy, and I think you will be also.

Thanks for the interest!

------------------
Stay Sharp!
Will Fennell
Camillus Cutlery

Mine balances at the finger index. Man, I love that knife. Carry mine inside the waist. Carry`s great there for a knife of that size. Makes you fill very confident having it there

------------------

janefromnc

walker

GAK! Political Correctness in Edged Weapons.

How's this, CQB= Confidently Quartering Badguys. P.C. and the world of Edged Weapons, never shall the 'twain meet.

Back