CQC-6 1996 "Garage Period" bought from Ernie & Mary at NY Custom Show with Certificate

mazzman

Gold Member
My CQC-6 which was reluctantly sold to me by Mary Emerson after a lot of begging and groveling. ;-) Apparently Ernie had just, finally, made this one for her and she had only been carrying it for a short while. Ernie took pity on me and told her he would make her a new one.

This was at the 1996 NY Custom Knife Show at the westside Hilton. I had gotten to their table late and there were maybe 3 knives left, this being one of them. She really didn't want to part with it.

Being my first big "custom" knife purchase, It was too cool to carry as my EDC, and I have not, but I became a fan that day and have carried several other Emersons.

A few years later I asked Mary if she would give me receipt so I would have some record of the moment, and she sent me a signed Certificate documenting the events leading up to the sale. Mary & and Ernie are the best.

Attachments

• IMG_3784.jpg
    IMG_3784.jpg
    435 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_3785.jpg
    IMG_3785.jpg
    431.9 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_3786.jpg
    IMG_3786.jpg
    308.1 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_3787.jpg
    IMG_3787.jpg
    374.5 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_3788.jpg
    IMG_3788.jpg
    317.6 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_3789.jpg
    IMG_3789.jpg
    328.5 KB · Views: 117
I’m sitting here looking for the price 😂 finally realizing it’s not a sales thread.

Gorgeous knife.
That's what I thought the moment I laid eyes on it. I didn't know anything about Emersons or Ernie & Mary except for the CQC-7 featured in Marcinko's Rogue Warrior. Got a chance to know Dick Marcinko too, but that's another story.

Very nice, thanks for sharing the history of it. I would never let that one go.
I don't plan to unless one of my kids really really wants it but they're more into my firearms. :cool: I wouldn't even know how to begin to put a value on it, but if I were to sell it it would probably be here.

My CQC-6 which was reluctantly sold to me by Mary Emerson after a lot of begging and groveling. ;-) Apparently Ernie had just, finally, made this one for her and she had only been carrying it for a short while. Ernie took pity on me and told her he would make her a new one.

This was at the 1996 NY Custom Knife Show at the westside Hilton. I had gotten to their table late and there were maybe 3 knives left, this being one of them. She really didn't want to part with it.

Being my first big "custom" knife purchase, It was too cool to carry as my EDC, and I have not, but I became a fan that day and have carried several other Emersons.

A few years later I asked Mary if she would give me receipt so I would have some record of the moment, and she sent me a signed Certificate documenting the events leading up to the sale. Mary & and Ernie are the best.
I've seen a lot of knives. Never seen a cooler one than that.

Got a chance to know Dick Marcinko too, but that's another story.

I'd be interested to hear it. I missed an opportunity to meet him back in 1994 and always regretted it. I'm curious to know how he came across in person. The people who worked for him usually described him in glowing terms. Those who did not...well, let's say that he tended to elicit strong reactions!

I'd like to hear about your experiences. Did you ever discuss knives?

-Steve

That is a really nice 6! Very rare for him to coat it black back then, and even rarer to carved the bolsters that way. It has all the hallmarks of the garage era, pre factory knives. Great score!

As for Demo Dick - in person he was a complete joy to hang out with. Funny as hell, very smart, very unassuming without being falsely modest. Just a really good guy to have as a friend.

I think a lot of people forget that - despite his great talents and marketing ability - Ernie might never have become a giant in the knife world without the Rogue Warrior mention of his folder.

Back