cr one piece line, custom or semi-custom

Hi
I was wondering if someone could answer this question, I heard they are semi-custom. Just what is done on these blades that is not done by chris himself. thats for any help. Al

I don't know how much, if any work on the knives is done by Chris himself these days but that wouldn't have any bearing on whether they are custom or semi-custom.

I guess it all depends on how you define the term. To me, a custom knife is one which is made to order, from scratch, to a specific set of instructions, specifying everything from materials used to blade/handle length, shape, size, blade style, finish, etc. In other words, one designed by the customer and made to that customer's design. Custom made usually means one of a kind.

A semi-custom knife is one which is made to order from an established plan or design but uses materials and variations as specified by the customer. A good example of this is a Randall Knife or, perhaps, something from "Pete's Custom Shoppe" over at Buck Knives. They both use basic designs, customized by and built to order for each individual customer.

Anything else, to me is a production knife. Whether it is made entirely by hand or by machine, on a production line or at a bench makes no difference. If they are produced, one after the other the same, they are production.

If one can order by model number or name and know that what will be received is the same as that which anyone else has ordered, it is production. It can be hand made, hand built or machine made but if it is of a common design or pattern, it is production.

If it is unique in appearance or finish but still of a common model or design, it could be considered semi-custom, however that stretches my definition a bit, unless the unique appearance or finish or decoration is specified by the customer.

For example, a plain Sebenza in either current or classic pattern is a production knife as is one of the Computer Generated Graphic (CGG) models. The same goes for the One-Piece Range. These are produced, one after the other, the same. There is just no way that would qualify for the "custom" or "semi-custom" definition.

The Unique Decorated Models, however, may qualify for the Semi-custom label in that, although they usually can't be ordered with a specific design, they are one of a kind patterns drawn to the specific design of the maker and not repeated. They are not a common design customized by the end user but they are unique and individual.

I have ordered and received Projects 1 and 2 without serrations and Shadows 4 with single guards and, although they aren't what are usually delivered, I don't consider them to be semi-custom as the variation is available to anyone who asks.

This isn't an indictment of quality, by the way. Anyone who equates poor or inferior quality with production is making a mistake. Quality control is the key and can be just as exacting in a production facility as on the custom workbench.

Based on this, the One-Piece Range is production and a fine example of such.

Class dismissed.

------------------
Dennis Wright
("Have a knife day!")

The term "Custom Knife" is defined by the Knifemakers Guild, and bears little resemblance to Dennis' opinion of the same. The Guild definition is fairly specific about what work on a knife must be done by the Knifemaker, and does not take into account how many of the same design are made or if the end user had any input into the concept whatsoever. Perhaps “Sole Authored, Hand Made” would be a better term, but it lacks the allure and tradition of “Custom Knife”.

In any case, the One-Piece Range and all other knives produced by Chris Reeve Knives are production.

------------------
James Segura
San Francisco, CA

The Guild have their definition and I have mine. Since I don't belong, I'm not bound.

At least we agree on the One Piece Range.

------------------
Dennis Wright
("Have a knife day!")

I realize that the Chris Reeve knives are considered production. I believe that the quality of the knives plus the customer service make these knives a great buy!

Dennis, I doubt that you are bound by anyone else’s definitions. No one should be. I was just pointing out the fact that there are organizations with specific guidelines about this sort of thing that are widely accepted by the industry.

What it really comes down to is labels. I don’t buy into labeling. I have heard time and time again from people that wouldn’t consider buying a Sebenza because they could get a ”True Custom” for about the same price. They are letting a label keep them from owning one of the finest knives available today. Too bad.

------------------
James Segura
San Francisco, CA

Very true James. Narrow horizons are the bane of experience.

We all have our ideas of 'what is' and 'what isn't' but to let that limit our choices is foolish, and sad.

Peace.

------------------
Dennis Wright
("Have a knife day!")

People who don't buy a knife just because it is not "custom" are losing out. My experience with custom makers is that they are a rather "snooty" bunch. Some won't deal with me because I am left handed. Elishewitz will make only certain knives and won't budge on his limited models. To me that is a prodution knife made by one person. And I think he has his blades made somewhere else and I suspect that he just puts the knives together. He doesn't have near the variety of Chris Reeve. Emerson could care less about his cutomers. I ordered a CQC 5 and I will have to wait at least 5 years. I am lucky that I got my order in before he "semi retired". Again, no options for my CQC 5, I take what he gives me and if I don't like it, too bad for me. To me, it's the product that counts. I would challenge anyone to prove that their custom is better than a Sebenza. Just because a knife is made by one person does not make that knife any better.

In motorcycles, cars, or knives you can get a"custom" piece of junk ot a high quality piece of ultra quality controlled craftsmanship (Chris Reeve). Let's not play semantics.

Back