Crawford Custom Carnivour

I've been considering buying a REKAT Carnivour, but I wanted to handle one before I made any decisions. Today, I was able to handle a Crawford one at Paragon sports in NYC. What a nice knife! Very smooth action, opens by pressing down the rolling lock button and flicking the wrist very lightly.

Anyway, the Crawford model is was selling for $450 there (I know you can get better prices), and they didn't have the REKAT, so I haven't handled that yet. My question is, how much better is the Crawford than the production REKAT? Is it worth spending double the price?

Maybe I should just get the REKAT, and buy a Crawford Kasper Combat or Wortac....

Crawford's is most definately twice as nice as the REKAT. I have one of each. Crawford is a true artist. The REKAT is no slouch however. The REKAT is my every day carry folder. I would rather beat up and abuse a $100 REKAT than a $400 Crawford. I had to work very hard to get the Crawford, it is one of my dearest treasures.

------------------
Dennis Bible
Knoxville, Tennessee

One more question: Is the action on the REKAT nearly as smmoth as the Crawford? I know it won't be the same, but can it be easily opened by pushing down the rolling lock and lightly flicking it, or is it more like a regular inertia opening and harder to do?

Anyway I'll probably just get the REKAT now. Now isn't the time to buy a $400 knife, gotta buy Christmas presents, plus I've wanted a custom 10/22 for a longer time, so thats going to have to come first.

I wish I could handle the REKAT before I buy one though, but I haven't had any luck finding one in my area.

The REKAT version is nowhere near as smooth. As a matter of fact the most common complaint I have heard is the grittiness of the knife. Don't just take my word for it though, do a search on the REKAT forum. There was a thread entitled "How smooth is your Carnivore?" I took mine apart and polished the back of the blade. Mine is very smooth now.

------------------
Dennis Bible
Knoxville, Tennessee

What did you use to polish it?

I think I'm going to buy the REKAT, discount knives sells them for $110. For that price, I won't be afraid to mess with it to make the action smoother. I also read that lubricating the pivot will make it smoother.

I polished it with a dremel tool and some metal glo.

------------------
Dennis Bible
Knoxville, Tennessee

can anyone who has a Carnivor tell me how the pocket clip is mounted? I know it has a single hex screw and the pocket clip has a tab that fits into a slot in the G-10, but is the screw tapped into the metal liners or just the G-10 scales?

generallobster, the clip is only throught the G-10, on mine anyway. I havent had a problem with the clip though.

Andrew, can you let us know how you like it? Also did you get black-t coated or stonewashed? I personally prefer the stonewash, hides scratches very well.

------------------
Dennis Bible
Knoxville, Tennessee

I got the stonewashed blade, stright edge. I don't like black blades that much. The only black bladed knife I want is a Commander, but I haven't had any luck finding one.

I also bought a Spyderco 204 sharpmaker so I can try to put that 15/20 edge I read about in another thread on the knife. Of course, I'm going to try it in a different knife first.

I'll post how I like the knife as soon as I get it.

Back