Creating a patina

I just got done sharpening my 8-OT. Last weekend, I used it to remove the plastic coating from a Stanley wood-chisel (I don't know why they put such a thick coating of plastic on the blade of this chisel- it must have been 1/8" thick). Sure did ding the blade up a bit. I used a fine DMT diamond stone, followed by a medium, then fine Arkansas stone, fixed it right up. I have been working to create a patina on the blade by slicing apples and other fruits. Green walnuts work well, too, as does coffee. Anyway, the knife looks great with the blade carefully discolored, and then with a freshly sharpened edge gleaming in the light. Also, I don't think is is as prone to rusting now as it was when I was always trying to keep the blade shiny. Does anyone else purposely discolor their Old Timers, or any other carbon steel knives? If so, what do you use?

I do. I have tried sticking the knife in an apple or an orange and leaving it for a while. I get some discoloration that way, but it is kind of a muti-colored look. I have never found a surefire way to get that even, blue-gray color by any method other than just use and time.

If anyone knows how to get that in a hurry, I'd like to know how.

When I was a kid I was into making blackpowder guns from kits. I used some gun blue from one of the kits on my old Middleman Jack and it worked nicely. There was also some sort of protectant in the kit, which I reckon was similar to Tuf Cloth. After I treated 'em, the blades were basically black and I never had a problem with rust. Unfortunately, some bastard stole that knife out of my college dorm room. :mad:

I thought about gun blue, but I wanted to try "all natural" things first, just to see what kind of variety can be had. The blade in an apple does work nicely, but apples don't darken the steel as much as green walnuts do. I do think I will use gun blue on my sharpfinger, that would look cool! mnblade, how is your 3.5 inch stockman quest comming? Have you tried Bear MGC cutlery? I've never seen their knives, but they do seem to offer natural handle materials. I will try one someday, but I would like to get one of the bone handled Shrade Heritage stockmans Tim mentioned first!:)

Slipjoints rock!
Steve

steve1701d: Still looking. I will take a look at Bear MGC, but like you, I'd be interested in checking out the bone-handled Heritage stockmans. But WHERE? I asked Tim here on the forum where they're available online, and I e-mailed directly to the company asking where they have them near where I live. Both responses where accompanied by the distinct sound of crickets chirping. :( I.E. nothing.

I'VE JUST FINISHED CURING A COLD STEEL STOCKMAN WITH CARBON V BLADES. SPENT A WEEKEND SLICING TOMATOES, POTATOS ETC. AFTER THAT I WIPED OFF THE BLADE AND SET IT HANDLE UP, BLADE DOWN IN A CUP OF WHITE VINEGAR WHICH IMPARTS A DARK PATINA. THE LONGER YOU LEAVE IT, THE DARKER IT IS. THE VINEGAR SHOULD COME UP TO THE TOP OF THE BLADE AND NO FURTHER. KEEP THE VINEGAR OUT OF THE INSIDE OF THE KNIFE. AFTER IT IS AS DARK AS YOU DEEM NESSESSARY WIPE OFF THE VINEGAR AND PUT A TINY LIGHT DROP OF GOOD GUNOIL ON THE BLADE AND RUB IT IN WELL. DONE.

Very interesting comments on creating the carbon steel patina - I learned a few things! By the way, mnblade, this cricket says you can contact Smoky Mountain or A.G. Russell to order the bone Old Timer Classics - they are beautiful!

WHEREINELL YOU BIN ANNEEWAYZ?? HAVNT SEEN HYDNOR HAAR OF YA FER A KOONZAGE.
YUU FOKS STIL MAKIN THET THER 4-BLAAD STOKMINZ KNIIFE? I MIST A GITTIN WONNA THOOS. PRBOBLLEE DRUNK WEN THA SALZMAN KOMTHRUU THA DAKOTAS.
AN EYE STIL GOTTA HANKERIN FER A 4" CONGRUSS WITHA PEN, SHEPFUUT, SPEAR, ANA KLIP BLAAD. IFFEN YA FEELFREE TA DOSO MA BERTHDAA IS OKTOBER 13 ANEYE DO AKSEPT GIFTZ.

>"you can contact Smoky Mountain or A.G. Russell to order the bone Old Timer Classics - they are beautiful!"

==============================

Perhaps, you can contact those two fine establishments to order one, but as of Sept. 18 at noon EST, neither company has the knives on their web sites - and they're still not pictured on the Schrade web site. I certainly want to see a knife before ordering.

Mnblade
Type Old Timer on the e-knifeworks site search. You'll get around 4 pages, or 40 products. That's how I found them. They only have two models, the trapper and the peanut, and they mislabled them, but they seem to have them. Look on the fourth page of the search. Also, I have seen the stockman at a K's Merchandise store here in Northeast IN. Looks pretty nice.
Good luck,

Steve

steve1701d:
Thanks for the heads up. I checked them out and they do look nice. Then I noticed they have Schrade+ stainless steel. :( So close!

Every silver lining has a cloud, Mnblade! As for blade patina, after an unfortunate coffee spill in my pick-up, it looks like coffee gives a nice, rich patina to my Old Timers! It looks similar to acid etching. I still want to get some green walnuts. Been too busy lately. If memory serves, they stain real nice on a blade.

Steve

Sorry, meantime I realized that it is inappropriate to suggest here any other knives.
I have found mnblade's original request and moved my suggestion to the appropriate post.
Personally I prefer square bolsters over round ones and the delrin handles on working knives over the natural ones.
I have a middleman OT stockman and I like it. It talks and walks much better than the much more expensive Case knives and is sturdier too. I like the thicker liners and the saw cut delrin scales are the best I handled till now.

>"I prefer square bolsters over round ones ..."

=============================

Just curious, why? Don't you find they're less comfortable in the pocket and that they are quick to wear little spots (and eventually full-blown holes) in your jeans?

I should have been more specific: I prefer slightly rounded square bolsters over round ones.
I just like the look better. You are right about the pocket wear.
I hope you have some success in the quest for the type of stockman you were searching for.

Back