Crelicam Ebony 110

Officially 2019... But there are a few rare 110's out there with 2018 date stamp that were using ebony. I believe they were quietly released right at the end of 2018.

The 110 was originally in ebony from 1964-1993, although a few special runs after did have them. Reintroduced 2019-current production.

The 110 was originally in ebony from 1964-1993, although a few special runs after did have them. Reintroduced 2019-current production.
The ebony for the early 110s was Macassar ebony (Diospyros celibica) from Indonesia. The currently used ebony is African black ebony (Diospyros crassiflora) from western Africa. Wood from these two species is easy to tell apart. "Crelicam" is a company trade name for the ebony which is from a sustainable source.

Bert

Thank You for your answers.The reason I ask is a friend brought over a 110 to sharpen with a 2017 date code that I swear looked like the new ebony scales.I examined the edge of it with a magnifier but saw no lamination lines.I then examined my 14 year old 110 but, you know,I couldn't see any lines on that either.Must be my imagination.It looked so much like the new ebony.

The laminations all run in the same direction. Not alternating 90° every other layer, like standard plywood. So if the grain matches well, it can be very difficult to impossible to see the glue seams.

O.B.

Back