Cricket / Mouse Knife Owner Review Please

What are your feelings on the Cricket?

I'm looking to buy two small one handed knives such as the Cricket or Mouse, 2.5" blade maximum, and prefer aluminum or stainless over Zytel, altough I can live with plastic.

The knife will be our EDC while traveling out of state and primary defensive weapon. I like the Cricket's blade profile for this purpose.

I don't feel very comfortable about the liner lock on the Zytel cricket, but I'll wait to hear.

Thanks alot,
TACMAN

A while ago I got a pink cricket for my girlfriend as a present. It was so cute that I had to buy one for myself also. I would not trust the liner lock for defensive use. If I abosultely had to use it for defense I would hold the blade between my pointer finger and thumb (in the hole) and just keep the rest of my hand on the side of the handle. This would not provide the securest grip but would keep my fingers out of the way of the blade. For a quick slash and run it would work. I love my cricket for light use but just don't see it as a great defensive weapon.

Out of the two, I've only handled the cricket, but I already know that I'd pick the mouse, only because you say it's your primary self defense tool. Since the Cricket doesn't have a point at all, it seems like something as simple as a thick leather coat would probably stop you from doing any damage.

That's just the deciding factor for me, though. The cricket does have a lot of advantages: it's more expendable, the plastic version is very grippy, it's extremely easy to conceal, and it would work just as well if not better than the mouse for utility use, unless your "utility use" involves skinning elk or some such.

Did someone ask about a cricket? WELL...

I've had the Tufram Serrated since March, the most used of my EDC pile(I only carry 3 spydies). It's handled just about anything I throw at it, and cut a sub for lunch yesterday. I keep the blade well oiled with edible oil(aka mineral oil), so I don't have to worry about food particles at work either.

I hack into about 50 boxes at work each night, making about 100/weekend... I sharpen early that same week, every week.

The only thing I did to mine, is change the curved tip a bit so I can sharpen it on the DoubleStuff stone. I also have a 2" peice of fine 204 rod(my supplier cuts them and sells them for a take anywhere sharpener).

Great little workhorse for your money, I'm using it the most even though it's my most expensive(for what I paid). I also have a Wegner jr that I picked up for 50, 40/60 #161. The Wegner covers the jobs that are too big for the cricket... Though they are few...

I have both.
I LOVE the Mouse (it is my favourite knife, I always have it on me, I cannot live without touching it all the time!!!) but it is not suitable for defensive use. It has a "skinner" blade with an uspwept point that will not slash through heavy clothing, especially with the small handle that all these knives have.
On the other hand, the Zytel Cricket is maybe the only knife that I could think of using defensively in an urban environment, and this is counting all my other (even larger) knives. It has a very aggresive point that digs into stuff, and I think it is the best "slash-and-run" knife that an untrained person might use. Zytel and linerlock pose no problem, as the knife is very small, thus the leverage that one can put on it is very small. It is torque (leverage) that can break a locking mechanism or a handle, not just force, and you need a long handle and blade in order to create a lot of leverage to break something.

Originally posted by Costas
It has a "skinner" blade with an uspwept point that will not slash through heavy clothing, especially with the small handle that all these knives have.

My own experience with the Mouse is somewhat different. I like that blade shape for slashing. It seems to work well as long as the slash is initiated with the belly edge and not with the tip.

Since we've just finished up with a garage sale I decided to try a practical experiment. I took a couple of old ripped-up jackets that didn't sell and donated them to the cause. :)

I wrapped some foam packing material in the jackets, one denim and one medium-weight leather. I propped them up but didn't brace them. I figured that would make a fair test since I wouldn't be able to apply too much pressure.

I experimented with both arm and wrist-snap slashes. All of the slashes penetrated into the foam. Most of them were more than an inch deep. I think that's pretty good, especially given the blade length.

For any kind of defensive use I would rather have a larger knife. If I had to make do with something in the Cricket/Mouse range I would be confident that I could do serious damage with the Mouse.

--Bob Q

I read somewhere that Tim Wegner field dressed either an elk, or a lower-48 moose with his Mouse. Cutting meat/flesh is a primary purpose in the Mouse's design. And, it is a very solid little knife, at least I thought so when I handled one back in June.

I personally think Mr. Wegner knows what he's doing when he designs a knife.

My Cricket has really been the most used knife in my collection.
At work over the past couple of years, it has done it's duty without a hitch and no probs with the liner lock.
If the handle length is too short for you, here's what I did to mine. I took a length of leather shoe string and tied it with a hangman's type of knot thru the lanyard hole. It extends the length of the handle and has given me a more secure grip. Hope it works for you too.:D

While both the Cricket and the Mouse can be used for self defense, if you're not carrying something larger, I'd give the nod to the Mouse. More robust construction, the VG-10 steel, and reinforced point. I also agree with Bob Q. on the slashing potential of the Mouse. Nice "sweet spot" on the belly.

I'm afraid that after hearing the great comments regarding both of these knives that I'm going to have to buy a mouse as well since I
bought two Crickets based on your info.

I found the quality of the Cricket to be great, especially considering it's low price of $32.00.

I tested the Cricket against my similar sized Emmerson La Griffe by slashing at heavy cardboard. The Cricket proved to be the more effective of the two by a very wide margin.

I still prefer a larger knife, however the Cricket beats having to use my finger nails to get me out of a pinch!
Thanks again,
TACMAN

Back