CRK grease, krytox?

Discussion in 'Chris Reeve Knives' started by SuzukiGS750EZ, Jun 17, 2020.

1. SuzukiGS750EZ

SuzukiGS750EZ

Dec 30, 2008
    Hey guys. I use krytox grease at my workplace and the crk stuff seems similar. If it is, is the crk pure krytox or oiled down a bit more? Can I just use what we have at work...?

2. Ajack60

Ajack60 Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 21, 2013
  3. pnsxyr

pnsxyr Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 29, 2013
    I actually always thought the CRK lube was one of the Krytox GPLs...they have pretty much all of the properties one could wish for, and them being safe on just about every finish was probably something CRK liked given their use of leather, rough micarta, wood, and polished + anodized titanium. CRK used to sell it in pretty sweet syringes.

Screen Shot 2020-06-17 at 10.13.28 PM.jpg

And while this container is used for multiple lubricants, Krytox GPLs do happen to be sold in those containers...

4. Josh K

Josh K Pirate

Sep 29, 2008
    Krytox GPL 201 is basically identical. Same as Tribolube, Christolube, and other fluorinated greases.

5. SuzukiGS750EZ

SuzukiGS750EZ

Dec 30, 2008
    Cool. I have a syringe of krytox sitting in my room currently, when I run out of what came with my inkosi I'll use that.

6. jumpstat

jumpstat

Mar 9, 2007
    IMO, the grease supplied with the knife is thin and light. At first this was the grease that I used for both my 21L and Umnumzaan. However I found that the grease tend to leak out onto the blade tang thus attracts allsorts of dirt, lint etc. I edc the folder in the crk slip sheaths and when it is warm, its runs. Then I opted to use a heavier grease which is certified food safe, SKF bearing grease. Its thicker and does not run out. The action is like original and the grease tends to stick to the washers etc. Also I find it is easier to assemble the knife using this grease as the washers do stick to the blade during assembly.