Recommendation? CRK Inkosi arrived flawed what do you recommend?

Try another Chris Reeve Knife or move on?

• Sebenza 31

• Umnumzaan

• Another Inkosi

• Move on from CRK

Results are only viewable after voting.
My Inkosi arrived uncentered and with lock play and I feel uncomfortable with it knowing I spent $600 on the Inlay model. I don’t know what to do, return it and try again and risk disappointment or be done all together with CRK?

I called their support phone number and the guy told me that the lock play is normal due to the ball insert, and that the uncentering could be due to unevenly sanded washers, and that they do everything by hand so sometimes these things happen.

I sent the knife to my friend (an incredible custom knife maker) to review and he told me to return it immediately. I’m going to link the video he sent me describing the lock play.

I really like the knife in hand but it’s hard to ignore these issues on a knife this expensive when none of my cheaper knives have them. I want to try a Sebenza 31 but I heard they have the same issue with lock play.

Any feedback would be appreciated.
Below is a video of the lock play and a picture of the uncentered blade.
Link: https://imgur.com/a/8OfOh5u

If you bought it from a dealer (too much time hasn't passed or knife taken apart) return it to the dealer and buy whatever you would like. If you have messed with the knife sending it in for service is going to be the answer-contact them 1st and hopefully they will cover the shipping.

I have always been happy with the 21's, but there are fans of all models

I have an inkosi coming Friday, you're not keeping my confidence up
Let me know how it turns out, it could just be a bad model. Don’t get me wrong it feels great in the hands and if you aren’t a perfectionist and notice the flaws in the finer details you’ll be fine. I had a professional knife maker point these things out and now I can’t unsee them.

Did you try adjusting the pivot & cleaning/ putting it back together? I would try that before condemning ir.

People tend to believe a CRK is a CRK is a CRK, all exceptional. Not in my experience, just like any other knife, some aren't as good as others. At the end of the day it's a production knife, there's no way they'll all have that 'perfect' fit.

Did you try adjusting the pivot & cleaning/ putting it back together? I would try that before condemning ir.
I would, but when I called CRK support and told him my issues he immediately assumed I had taken it apart and put it back together incorrectly so I’m not going to try.

Have you tried to tighten the pivot?

i have a small inkosi and a large inkosi.
Never had any issue with the small
On the large at some point I have a stiff detent and I have been tempted to disassemble the knife and to loosen the pivot a little bit
Then I had some « play » in the knife. The opening and closing action was better but the lock up was not perfect
I have tighten the pivot and gave it the time to break in.
At the end everything was fine

theInkosi is not on bushings so the as justement of the pivot can be very sensible

that is one of the reason why I prefer the large sebenza over the large inkosi ....

not sure it is the case for you, but I hope it will help

I would try adjusting the adjustable pivot. See if that doesn’t sure things up nicely. If not, it needs to be returned for a new one that functions properly. I’d start with adjusting the adjustable pivot though. And yes, I’ll echo the “that’s why I prefer my 21” statement as well :thumbsup:

from what I understand they can send out washers for this model, Unlike the Sebenza that has to have the washers hand fitted. So if the washers are a problem, that may be an option.

Really sorry for your negative experience. They do make good knives, but like everyone else there can be mistakes.

Have you tried to tighten the pivot?

i have a small inkosi and a large inkosi.
Never had any issue with the small
On the large at some point I have a stiff detent and I have been tempted to disassemble the knife and to loosen the pivot a little bit
Then I had some « play » in the knife. The opening and closing action was better but the lock up was not perfect
I have tighten the pivot and gave it the time to break in.
At the end everything was fine

theInkosi is not on bushings so the as justement of the pivot can be very sensible

that is one of the reason why I prefer the large sebenza over the large inkosi ....

not sure it is the case for you, but I hope it will help
I read about the Sebenza and it’s bushings, i don’t know why I thought the Inkosi would be better. Very disappointed and I think I’ll give CRK another chance eventually but for now I’ll just return this one.

I dunno. I've owned many CRK and I consider myself a knife expert regarding function and adjustment on locking folders. Yeah. Tooting.

My Inkosi is amazing in every aspect. Can't force blade play and centered after wear and use since first adjusting .

Only you can decide what's next. Based on your question. Id say still you have a lot of exploring to do before you will know the awnswer.

Sadly CRK is giving you a cookie cutter reply without even seeing it . They should be requesting you to send it in. Instead of excuses if you can't adjust it yourself.

The 21 and Inkosi are the top two folders IMO.

You should have taken it down by now . If not . Try and it may solve your issue..

Last edited:
Though it should not come like that new, it very well could be the pivot. I took my small Inkosi apart just this weekend and cleaned it, and it was off centered the first time I put it together because I did not have the pivot set correctly. Since you have not messed with it, I wouldn’t take the chance and would simply return it and get another.

Since you took the time to post it here, return it. Sure it's partially hand done, but the idea is someone should be checking it before it leaves the factory to ensure it's done correctly. "Sometimes these things happen" quoted is a return it kind of statement.

Just got my first Inkosi recently. Haven't carried it yet as it's one I'm going to get engraved and keep nice. But I have handled it and it's perfect. I also have 4 large 21s and 2 small 21s, all without issue. I have a 5th large 21 on the way. I trust CRK to make things right. At least give them a chance to do so either by returning/replacing the one you received or sending it in for warranty

Back