Crk itch opinions please

Dallas T

Gold Member
I have recently began to itch for another crk. I’ve had only a small 21 prior but sold it few yrs ago. I know i want a larger size, trying to decide over large 21, large inkosi or a zaan! I recently tried some xm18s for my desire for a well made knife but but the 3” and 3.5 xm18 neither really felt great in my hand and honestly just really didn’t cut well. I felt for the price that just wasn’t for me. So any experienced opinions please? I do really like the look of the zaan

I can’t speak to the large Inkosi (it’s next on my list) but I prefer the ‘Zaan over the Large 21. Why? The opening motion of the ‘Zaan is more natural for me, wheter thumb flipping or slow controlled opening. I also love the feel of the O-ring clad stop pins seating themselves on the frame. ‘Thug’.
The grinds/blade shapes on both the tanto and droppoint ‘Zaan put me over the top! Amazing.

As for feel, to me the 21 seems a bit more refined and the ‘Zaan more beefy. I must give superior ergonomics to the 21. The raised lockbar thumb release on the ‘Zaan gives me a bit of a hot spot. No hot spots on my 21.

Good and informative thanks alot for ur experience. I feel that I’d like the over travel stop of the zaan but I like the canted clip off the lock bar of inkosi. I guess neither should be a deal breaker though

Since you had a small 21, you should have an idea how he large 21 will be. Between the Inkosi and Umnumzaan, it’s a matter of preference which to choose. The Inkosi is probably the smoothest CRK out of the box, there’s nothing about the Umnumzaan that’s not appealing to me.
I have and carry all three models, I can’t honestly decide on which one has the edge over the others.
Now, for a work knife, I’ll take the Inkosi/25 all day long. But that’s just me. In my simple mind, the Inkosi/25 is the definition of a work knife. The Umnumzaan is right there with those.

Cant go wrong with any of the 3 you mentioned. Personally, I like the 21 the best as its a true sebenza thru and thru.

I got a large 21 insingo recently and it just spoiled my other knives....
It is a great cutter and a robust knife which carry light for its size
Mine has required quite a long time to break in but i am now completely happy with it
I like it to look unthreatening
It is my default carry knife and I only switch for a small Inkosi when I need a smaller blade

My vote goes to the Inkosi.
It is more like a "heavy" Sebenza.
Best thing if you could try before.

I have recently began to itch for another crk. I’ve had only a small 21 prior but sold it few yrs ago. I know i want a larger size, trying to decide over large 21, large inkosi or a zaan! I recently tried some xm18s for my desire for a well made knife but but the 3” and 3.5 xm18 neither really felt great in my hand and honestly just really didn’t cut well. I felt for the price that just wasn’t for me. So any experienced opinions please? I do really like the look of the zaan

I prefer the small 21 and the large inkosi. Don’t know why just personal preference. The Large is more of an arbitrary decision between the two because unlike the small they seem to be about the same size. The Inkosi is also abit thicker in the blade and handle.

The zaan is also a terrific knife. You can’t really go wrong.

Tough choice. I vote zaan. I have both but the zaan gets way more pocket time.

The Inkosi is a great feeling knife, Zaan seems more tactical and has a flair to it.. but.. Large 21 Insigno spends the most time in my pocket!!

Dallas, may I ask what your reasoning was back then for selling your small 21?
I've got my eyes on a small 21 at the moment, but I find it hard to decide between the small and large... Is there any particular reason why you currently prefer the large?

You will end up getting all of them because there is no known cure for the itch. However, of the three you are itching for I'd start with the large 21. Then move on to the Umnumzaan, and finally the Inkosi. And be sure to look at the Wilson Combat editions of all of them- those have extra starburst ridges, which are especially good for scratching the itch.

I think that with the Inkosi being only a few years old there will be some new things coming like Damascus and inlay options, and that's the reason I'd hold out for that one to be the last of the three.

Dallas, may I ask what your reasoning was back then for selling your small 21?
I've got my eyes on a small 21 at the moment, but I find it hard to decide between the small and large... Is there any particular reason why you currently prefer the large?
I sold it for just fueling the next craving. Was easy quick cash but if i did it all over again would do only the large simply do to my hand size and personal preference. Not much reason other than that

My Inkosi is my new favorite blade, but I just got it yesterday so still in the honeymoon stage, lol.

I’ve had all of them minus a Sm Inkosi which I will try at some point. Get what speaks to you.

Are these all free spinning pivots or are they D shaped?

No key- all free spinning. The Sebenza 21 has a bushing that spans frame-to-frame but the Umnumzaan and Inkosi have a male-female type pivot. So on the 21 you just crank it down and let the precision machining set the pivot tension but with the Zaan and Inkosi you need to dial it in and use purple Loctite.

Oh I didn’t know that. Wonder why they didn’t continue the bushing accross the board? Sounds like it’s superior and preferred! ^

Back