1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

CRKs and Airline Travel

Discussion in 'Chris Reeve Knives' started by Evany, Aug 3, 2012.

1. Evany

Evany Gold Member Gold Member

May 7, 2007
    I travel a lot for work. I usually pack a less expensive knife in my checked bag, like one of the cheaper Spydercos. I've never had any problems, but was wondering if having something special like a CRK knife in one's baggage increases the odds of "loss" by the airline or customs, etc. Was wondering what the consensus was here. Do you take your CRK along, or leave it safe at home?

2. BBQ BOY

BBQ BOY

Feb 24, 2009
    You shouldn't have any issues with checked baggage. When I travel, I put a SAK in my checked bag.

3. RiverRat84

RiverRat84 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 21, 2011
    Awesome post!

I am heading down to New Orleans at the end of the month and I'll be grumpy as hell if I can't take a Sebenza.

If you guys can say how you pack them, that would be great too!:thumbup:

4. dflores

dflores

Dec 29, 2011
    I would mot pack the CRK at all, i pack a SAK sportsman and a caly for travel in the pockets of a rolled up pair of jeans.

5. justsomedude

justsomedude

May 23, 2011
    Leave at home, bring a spydie. That's what I do. I don't think it will make you bag more likely to "disappear" but those things go missing often enough on their own!

6. lathrop

lathrop

Aug 23, 2009
    I travel with a sebenza. Roll it in a sock and stuff it in a shoe is my way, so far so good. Checked baggage of course.

7. calypso699

calypso699

Jun 10, 2006
    Take the blade out of the handle. Put some tape on the edge for safety, and use a zip tie through the pivot hole to secure it to the inside of your checked bag (most luggages have a rail of some kind). Take the handle and screws and put them in your carry on. If the blade were to go missing, you still have the handles and would only need to buy another blade.

8. roughneckrob

roughneckrob

Jul 3, 2009
    edit, didn't read entire thread

Last edited: Aug 3, 2012
  9. Evany

Evany Gold Member Gold Member

May 7, 2007
    I've always hesitated to take along a knife I would sorely miss if it somehow disappeared out of my checked luggage. Great to hear some other options, like removing the blade. Not sure I'd do that every time, but good to know.

10. Maprik

Maprik Gold Member Gold Member

May 17, 2012
    GREAT idea about checking the blade and carrying on the handles. You guys just solved my dilemna about my trip to Hawaii in 2 weeks! Thanks!!!!

11. blackend

blackend Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 21, 2002
    I've done this very same thing. Just no zip tie, but sounds cool. No issues!