CRKT 14k Summit Series 1st. Impressions

Here are my ramblings. I have infront of me right now the Large "Mt. Whitey" model:

The knife looked a lot lighter than it actually was. According to CRKT's webpage the Large models weigh in at 6.4 oz! Thats an incredible step up from the light 2.9 oz. I'm used to with the M16-03. It is obvious that brute strength was in mind when this knife was designed. And strength it does received with the added LAWKS feature. It has passed the spine whack test without the LAWKS engaged so far but then again i'm babying it right now.
rolleyes.gif

The blade itself is nicely bead blasted.
The AUS6M steel is shaped similar to the "modified reverse tanto point" on a BM 940. However, I like this shape better because the drop is a bit more subtle than the Osborne. Opening is a pretty easy and can be made looser with a torx wrench. In all a great beater for those that prefer a handle heavy knife.

My only complaint so far: Why do they half to give the big, medium, and small knives different names along with their serrated counterparts?

[This message has been edited by Quarterstaff (edited 02-22-2001).]

I just bought (on closeout) the older version of yours, called the "Commander" series, named after WWII allied commanders. Mine is the medium, plain edge called the "Red Dog". Yours is essentially the same knife, with a better clip, different blade shape, and the LAWKS. Mine seems pretty solid, but durn it's heavy ! This is not a 'business casual' slack knife, this is for jeans only. It is classy looking, though. I wonder if the LAWKS feature could be retrofitted to older CRKT liner locks ? It looks like you could just dissassemble the pivot and slip it in, that would make mine perfect. The Red Dog liner locks very solid, but I have the LAWKS on my zytel Point Guard, and I think the LAWKS on a metal handle would be great.

best of luck with yours, you've discovered the best value in knives today - CRKT.

One small complaint about these (mine, anyway) that made me laugh when I saw they were reintroduced with a climbing motif - the handles are not only heavy, but pretty slippery. the textured finish actually makes it slicker than a glossy smooth finish would. I had to laugh at the idea of trying to use it on the summit of K2 with cold hands.
rolleyes.gif

Back