CRKT Birler

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by dakota, Mar 3, 2016.

1. dakota

dakota

Oct 3, 1998
    This looks to be a fun little number for customizing. I have been very tempted to pick up either the Chogan or Kangee, but now I'm glad I waited.

Overall Length: 16 inches
    Weight: 10.3 ounces
    Blade Length: 5.165 inches
    Thickness: 1.113 inches
    Material: 1055 Carbon
    Blade-HRC: 50-55
    Finish: Satin
    Handle Material: Hickory

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2016
    Do you know anything about the quality ? Crkt might make decent knives, but just like cold steel they're predominantly a knife maker, and not just anybody can make a good axe. An axe is a surprisingly difficult tool to get right.

3. chuxwan

chuxwan

Aug 26, 2012
    I'm fond of the general shape of the head, but from those photos, the handle and steel both look very poorly executed and finished.

4. der_vincent

der_vincent

Dec 9, 2011
    Hi Dakota,

indeed ... you have exactly the same thought that I have ... i was thinking about ordering a CRKT Woods chogan for quite some months ... but since I have some Cold Steel Rifleman's Hawks, i always thought that the Woods Chogan was more or less the same design than the CS Rifleman's. Only Thing that is different is that the Chogan has the sharpened beard (what is a nice Feature).

And NOW, i see this Birler hatchet .. WOW, cool Thing. I ll skip my plan of getting a chogam, an will get a Birler instead. I like the design.
    Cheers, Vincent

5. Guitarist7.62

Guitarist7.62

Mar 1, 2015
    I have a chogan, the woods model. It's an axelent tool.(ha ha!) I sanded the handle down to bare wood, stained it, sanded the head smooth and cold blued, and sharpened. It is probably my most used tool next to my pocket knife. I didn't have to do the work I put into it, but it is mine and I want others to know that, and a want to feel that in use. These look to be the same, probably won't require any work if any at all before use but could also benefit from some personal touches. I would absolutely buy another chogan if a had to.

6. Pokerchip

Pokerchip

Jun 26, 2015
    I know this is reviving an old thread, but the Birler hasn't been discussed much so I guess I'll give an opinion. I'm not the axe expert some of you are and this is my first review, but I'm learning so here goes. When I first picked it up at a local shop I thought it felt a little light weight. I also noticed how severely dull and uneven the edge was. But it looked repairable so I didn't let that bother me. Since the guy wanted rid of it and the price was right it left with me.
    Once I got it home I fixed the edge first. I thought it would take a while as bad as it was, but in less than an hour it looked okay in my mind. (Still wasn't perfect but much better.)
    Yesterday I finally gave it a test drive. I had a couple saplings to clear and some limbs to remove at a new deer stand. The Birler did a good job. The design of the handle works really well. Every swing felt balanced and it didn't want to twist in my hand. Always felt like I had a good grip and wasn't slipping back and forth. And after a couple hours use my hands didn't hurt either. What I found surprising was the edge still felt sharp. That was even after one bad swing (my fault entirely) ended up in the dirt. Took my seven year old step daughter with me. So before we left we used the Birler to carve her name in an old stump. I let her help and she got a kick out of that.
    So in closing, I do still believe it is a little too light weight. I'm not even sure why I think that, just a gut feeling it would be better if it was a little heavier. Overall though, I like the Birler and expect it will serve me well in the future. I'll probably pick up the leather sheath they offer for it too.

7. Keirowyn

Keirowyn

Jan 18, 2017
    I guess I'm also reviving an old thread but I just received my Birler in the mail so I thought I'd give my impressions.

I haven't even unpackaged it - and by that I mean removed it from the stupid card to which it is zip-tied (this packaging is a freaking joke) - but the head is loose. Most of the reviews I've read have complained about the fit and finish of this ax, and I have to agree. Though I should also say that I really don't care too much about that. I would sand and refinish the handle anyway...and I probably would reprofile the edge too.

But the loose head is a non-starter. And when looking at the top of the head, there's a noticeable gap between the head and the handle on the front side, which may be one of the reasons the head is loose. I'm sending it back. The other significant issue is the weight. Everywhere I look (such as Amazon), the weight of this thing is listed at 10.3 ounces. I have a CRKT Woods Chogan tomahawk, which weighs 32 ounces (with handle). I ordered the Birler hoping to cut weight in my pack. However, I just put my Birler on the scale and it comes in closer 26 ounces. That does include the minimal packaging, but it's nearly as heavy as my Chogan. At over 1.5 lbs, I don't think the weight savings offset the potential for the head to fly off or the difficulty of replacing the handle in the field (which are two reasons I bought the tomahawk in the first place). I'll just stick with my Chogan.