CRKT Could Eat Spyderco's and Benchmade's Lunches

I really like CRKT and have a number of their knives (including the crossbones). :thumbsup: I do however, feel you are getting a bit carried away. :rolleyes: You sound a bit like "if Corvettes came with better handling, better interior materials and more styling they would be up there with Ferrari and Lamborghini. NOT! ;)

Ferrari = 1966-1969 Le Mans.
Lambo = Farfegnugen.
Vette = finally...a mid engine design.

If CRKT was using better materials, they will increase their prices and hence will be on par with the spider and the butterfly. And on top of that, they will have to enforce a real QC policy. That's not something money can buy...

here again I hear tell of other brands of knives ... my curisoty peaked (as I thought only CPK, Becker, CRK, Hinderer, ZT, and Spyderco made knives ...

could it really be true ... dare I dream there might be others out there ... I think I need a nap to ponder the possibilties ... I'm exhausted ...

Some of their knives are awesome.
I really like my hissatsu folder.
The OC3 has been good so far.
Humginger great.
Sweet kiss tanto is a nice little shank....
I have an old M4 that is a good knife and the M16 series is somewhat GI proof.
Some of thier stuff is not so great, but all companies have mediocre stuff.

Didn't CRKT misspell the steel marking on that $750 pocket brick - the XOC?
CTS-HXP :confused:
It even shows that on their own website
Stolen from Reddit:

Attachments

• ro7o4cu3o3x21.png
    ro7o4cu3o3x21.png
    101.2 KB · Views: 35
Reactions: Mo2
I typically steer clear of them, but I have been hankering to try one of the Crawford Kasper folders a long time. I have seen mixed reviews, but mostly positive. I went ahead and ordered one a few days ago and now have it in hand.

I have to say it appears to be a quality piece, especially for $20 shipped. Solid lock up and smooth deployment with just a touch of an off-center blade. The grind is decent as well, with just a hint of unevenness at the tip. It also came very sharp.

It’s big and heavy, but quality wise it appears to be a winner and compares well with knives costing much more. I haven’t got a chance to do any work with it yet, so the blade steel may be a let down, but I don’t do much heavy work anyway, so it will probably cover my needs.

I'm not a fan of CRKT's designs, actually, and their quality, as everyone has noted, is sorely lacking. I don't see them stepping up their game either, as I suspect their target market is people just getting into knives who don't really know any better.

I typically steer clear of them, but I have been hankering to try one of the Crawford Kasper folders a long time. I have seen mixed reviews, but mostly positive. I went ahead and ordered one a few days ago and now have it in hand.

I have to say it appears to be a quality piece, especially for $20 shipped. Solid lock up and smooth deployment with just a touch of an off-center blade. The grind is decent as well, with just a hint of unevenness at the tip. It also came very sharp.

It’s big and heavy, but quality wise it appears to be a winner and compares well with knives costing much more. I haven’t got a chance to do any work with it yet, so the blade steel may be a let down, but I don’t do much heavy work anyway, so it will probably cover my needs.
I pulled my oldie out of retirement due to this thread. I remembered why I parked it for something lighter when I tried it clipped to my pocket. It's too kewl not to use so I pulled the clip and found an old leather high ride belt sheath (branded "Case" but I don't know what it was actually made for) that I could soak and stretch to fit it. Planning on getting back to camping and hiking this summer so it will come along.

I've never really cared for their lower priced stuff, but the RMJ designed tomahawks and the Hisshou tantos are pretty badass.

CRKT does get some awesome designers. Seriously, when I found out that they're making the Richard Rogers production knives, I was both excited (Richard Rogers productions!) and sad (from CRKT). As someone said, Boker takes a similar approach.

I don't think it's nearly as big a jump as you say it is. The designs are already in place. They really need to do two things, in my opinion: (1) Simply swap materials for the blade and scales (and maybe washers if they use teflon in anything), and (2) hire people to inspect what comes off the line closely. To me, these don't sound like wholesale changes.

I don't think it's quite that simple - with that approach you'll wind up with nice materials, poorly put together, with much higher prices due to the high reject rate. Quality needs exist across the entire value chain, which means better equipment that can maintain higher tolerances, better trained (and motivated) employees, etc.

I'm not familiar with CRKT's corporate structure - how much they own their own manufacturing capability, vs. outsource - but I don't think it'd be impossible for them to pivot. Possibly under a sub-brand that doesn't carry the same stigma. I certainly think they'd sell well.

That's a large reason why I'm somewhat excited for Alliance Designs - well-made production versions of very nice custom knives, orchestrated by someone who apparently gives a damn about the end product, and not just the profit margin. Seriously, where are the Alliance Design collaborations with Richard Rogers or Jon Graham?

That's a large reason why I'm somewhat excited for Alliance Designs - well-made production versions of very nice custom knives, orchestrated by someone who apparently gives a damn about the end product, and not just the profit margin. Seriously, where are the Alliance Design collaborations with Richard Rogers or Jon Graham?
Which factoy in China is making those?

Ferrari = 1966-1969 Le Mans.
Lambo = Farfegnugen.
Vette = finally...a mid engine design.

Porsche = 19 overall wins at Le Mans
Everyone else = non factor

anyways

I thought a few years back CRKT was headed in the right direction with the Hi Jinx frame lock......not for $400 bones but still a decent if it was under $200

It was actually a decent looking blade....

CRKT does get some awesome designers. Seriously, when I found out that they're making the Richard Rogers production knives, I was both excited (Richard Rogers productions!) and sad (from CRKT). As someone said, Boker takes a similar approach.

I don't think it's quite that simple - with that approach you'll wind up with nice materials, poorly put together, with much higher prices due to the high reject rate. Quality needs exist across the entire value chain, which means better equipment that can maintain higher tolerances, better trained (and motivated) employees, etc.

I'm not familiar with CRKT's corporate structure - how much they own their own manufacturing capability, vs. outsource - but I don't think it'd be impossible for them to pivot. Possibly under a sub-brand that doesn't carry the same stigma. I certainly think they'd sell well.

Right you are sir! The problem with CRKT is that they don't understand the market they are trying to serve. Look at their M390 Crossbones, or Ken Onion Motley, both are grossly overpriced and have struggled to sell. Look at something with similar materials sold from Lionsteel (the manufacturer for those two collabs) and you can clearly see a huge gap in price. CRKT is basically an unnecessary middle man that is lucky enough to own a popular design. Hell, you can even get an USA made Kershaw Link or Dividend in M390 for well under $100, compared to the $275 Crossbones.

In my opinion, their corporate officers are confused and misguided.

I’ve got a couple Crkt’s that are well made and I really like them. I also have a couple that I am thoroughly disappointed in. When they want to, Crkt can certainly make a good product but they are horribly inconsistent. Then they put out rediculously overpriced offerings expecting folks to throw money at regardless of their reputation for putting out sub par merchandise. I don’t understand their business plan but I would like to see them find a way to consistently put out the kind of product they are capable of, (preferably in slightly better steels). If they could do that for a couple of years, then they could move into higher end materials and charge accordingly.

preferably in slightly better steels
The problem I see is that everyone says this and then they think it's good. When they need better heat treatment to go with those steels. Else your just selling a piece of shit wrapped gold color foil.a paying $50 more for a steel name... Hmm nope. And then on top of that the bad quality and other materials. Sad how many people are blind to this with the Pilar. They arnt worth the price they sold for and they arnt worth the price they are going for in the 2ndary market.

The problem I see is that everyone says this and then they think it's good. When they need better heat treatment to go with those steels. Else your just selling a piece of shit wrapped gold color foil.a paying $50 more for a steel name... Hmm nope. And then on top of that the bad quality and other materials. Sad how many people are blind to this with the Pilar. They arnt worth the price they sold for and they arnt worth the price they are going for in the 2ndary market.

Agreed, heat treat is crucial. When I said better steel, I should have said with good heat treat I guess. I buy from companies that do great jobs on heat treatment like Spyderco so I guess I just expect that to be part of getting a better steel.

Back