CRKT Kasper "Fighting Folder"

glockman99

RIP Dann, you were a good guy.
CRKT Craford/Kasper "Fighting Folder".

6783w.jpg

Yesterday, I received the (Large, "combo-edge") CRKT Kasper Knife that I had bought from a fellow "Forumite" for a grand total of $30, (including priority shipping). The knife was "listed" as "used", but it looks to be "NIB" to me.

...Anyway...This knife opens as smoothly as warm butter (due to the use of Teflon bearings), locks open as tightly as a vault at Fort Knox, is as sharp as a new razor, and fits my hand as if it were custom-made for ME!.
smile.gif
smile.gif

The blade profile is GREAT, as it is a full 1&3/8 inches across, 1/8 inch thick, 3&3/4 inches long, and has a "spear-point" shape, with a long "false-edge" on top. The bead-blasted blade steel is AUS 6M Stainless.

This Knife comes with the "LAWKS" blade locking system that prevents the liner-lock from "slipping" off the blade. The LAWKS lever falls naturally under the thumb.

There is a very deep (and comfortable) ambidextrious cut-out for the index finger to "sit-in" so that there is pretty much no way that your hand would slip onto the blade during "heavy stabing motions", while the rear of the handle has a very comfortable "hook" that keeps the hand "in-place" very well. And the top of the handle has some very "nice" grooves to help with the "thumb-grip".

The Zytel handle is attached to the thick stainless liners via a series of Torx screws, and includes a "lanyard" hole.

The pocket clip is set-up for "tip-down" carry, and is secured via three Phillips-head screws.

The ambidextrious thumb-studs are knurled, and are of adequate size to make "one thumb opening" quick, and easy.

In short, this IS one STOUT knife, that is a true "Fighting Folder".

(I would tell even my BEST FRIEND, to buy one of these knives!).
cool.gif

------------------
Dann Fassnacht
Aberdeen, WA
glockman99@hotmail.com
ICQ# 53675663

[This message has been edited by glockman99 (edited 07-31-2000).]

I have one with plain blade and it is a great knife except that it is too heavy. CRKT says they no plans to make the knife lighter by putting holes in the handle as Crawford does in his custom version. If enough people ask CRKT for a lighter version, maybe they will!

What's the point of the pocket clip on the large KFF? The thing eats my pockets for breakfast! Seriously, the thing is a little too heavy (roughly 7 oz!).

Otherwise, a great knife.

I don't bother with clips because they can damage pockets and furniture. I use an Inside the Pocket Knife Holster. My custom KFF is a bit lighter. I don't have any problems carrying it as long as I wear Docker style pants.

Axel

I bought a large and a small (plain edge) the small one is my new everyday carry knife. The big one is just too much knife for my everyday needs. I think CRKT, are putting out a heck of a knife for the money. I find the CRKT version to be easier to release the lock than the custom version.

------------------
"Will work 4 Knives!"
My PhotoPoint Site

Axel Yup, can you provide more info on the inside the pocket holder? Where can we find it? I am also not too fond of the clips on the handles of some of these knives.

Andre,

You can buy it at www.magills.com .

Click on the "Our Complete List of Items" tab, then "Concealment Holsters" category, and finally on "Inside Pocket Knife Holster."

I modified my holster by trimming off the leather flap because it got in the way during drawing. I also had a cobbler move the stitching on the pouch to make room for my KFF.

Here's a picture of the final holster:

View

Axel

Good looking knife, but there's 2 things turns me down, IMHO.
1. Handle, The polished zytel handle is kina slippery for me, I would pay $40 more if they make a G10 version.
2. Blade steel. AUS6A just not the kind of steel for me, at least an AUS8?

Anyway just my little wishes.

SharpEdge,

I guess you haven't had the PLEASURE of handling one of these CRKT LARGE Kaspers, huh?.
smile.gif

The handle IS NOT slippery. In-fact, it feels GREAT in my hand!
cool.gif

Althought the AUS-6 steel is not the best steel in the world, it's not really ALL that bad for the price, and for what this knife IS MENT for...(It IS called a "Fighting Folder"). And I received mine RAZOR SHARP!

------------------
Dann Fassnacht
Aberdeen, WA
glockman99@hotmail.com
ICQ# 53675663

I played around w/ it more than a couple times, i dunno, I just like G10 handles much better than polished zytel, and I think it's definity worth the money by making a G10 version. About the steel, I know its a "Fighting Knife", but just how many times you actually use it for tha purpose, hopefully not a lot. I like my knife capable of defending myself yet able to hold and edge on some utility cutting, I think its also well worth the money to make a AUS8 one. Isn't AUS6 almost the same as 420? The United Cutlery steel? Yuck...
Just my $.02, have a nice day
smile.gif

SharpEdge,

Hmmm...IF you want a "better" Kasper, I do know of a good solution:

Buy one of the original Crawford versions of this CRKT "Kasper" knife. Sure, it'll cost you $300-$400 (or so) dollars, but if you have THAT much money to spend...
biggrin.gif

BTW, I also REALLY hope I NEVER have to use MY Kasper "Fighting Folder" to "fight-with" (I carry a Glock Pistol or two, anyway...), but IF I do, it'll STILL be RAZOR SHARP, as I also carry my Spyderco Stainless Native II, as my "chore-knife".
smile.gif

------------------
Dann Fassnacht
Aberdeen, WA
glockman99@hotmail.com
ICQ# 53675663

Well after reading this and other threads, I've decided to get the larger version. This will be my first CRKT folder and it'll be interesting to compare to my Benchmades and Spydercos. I'm not overly concerned about the steel or the zytel. I don't consider A6 any different than 440A. A6 should work just fine for this type of knife - I'm planning on restricting this knife to defensive purposes. One of my favorite Benchmades is the Panther and it uses a zytel handle too. It works just fine. Hope it lives up to the acolades.

SharpEdge,

The Benchmade Panther is not the same as the Leopard. The Panther is a Zytel handled liner lock, now discontinued.

David Rock

------------------
AKTI Member # A000846
Stop when you get to bone.

Hello All,
The large CRKT KFF is a nice knife and I like it a lot.
I however wound up buying a CRKT M16-04, as I found the KFF to be too large and heavy for easy concealed carry, also the handle of the M16 seems to suit me better.
The tanto blade style is not my first choice, but it is growing on me
smile.gif
However I will probably wind up with the KFF when funds permit :0.
Just my opinion.
Regards.

Will Kwan:
IMO the lawks is totally redundant. all it does it keep the fairly thick liner lock from moving over. same on the Point Guard. good thing is that is does not get in the way. both beautiful knives.

Sharpedge, 6A is more comparable to 440A. I believe on average, 6A has carbon percentage of 0.075% less, but has a small amount of vanadium in it to make up for it.

420J to the best of my knowledge, has no vanadium, and a carbon content even lower than 0.54% (the range for 6A is 0.55-0.65%).

I have to say that I've been carrying around the little KFF for about a month now. I really wish they had put on a better steel. The AUS6 just doesn't hold an edge long for general utility. I don't mind sharpening. I think I am decent at it. But, I find I am sharpening more than I want to.

I the Crawford large KFF which I really like, one of the few linerlocks I trust but still verify. The hollow grind edge and the ATS34 steel (? heat treat) on that makes for a good cutter that holds up really well. I also have the large CRK&T KFF and have yet to carry it or use it. I haven't wanted to base on the performance of the smaller KFF.

Overall, I think CRK&T did a good job keeping to the Kasper/Crawford design. I certainly don't mind the LAWKS, although a flat tab like the Gerber Covert, would have been better. What's really bugging me is the mediocre steel. I guess if I were carrying the CRK&T strictly as a defensive backup, it wouldn't matter much. However, as a utility, I would probably spend $5-10 more and get a Spyderco Delica/Endura, Native or along that line.

sing

AKTI #A000356

Back