CRKT KFF Pro vs Standard

EHS

I'm going to buy either the CRKT KKF Pro or the standard model, but I'm not sure which to get. Does anyone have any ideas? What are the pros and cons of each.

Thanks

EHS, welcome to the forum. One of the great features of the forum is the "search" feature. There is a tremendous database on this forum.

Recommend you enter a search for KFF PRO as I did just moments ago. Make sure the search is set for "all open forums" and on just the first page you will find 3 o4 threads directly addressing your question.

Good luck and happy buying.

Architect,

Thanks. The searh was very informative, although I still have no idea which one I'll get.

Get the pro. The steel is AUS-8, which will hold an edge longer than AUS-6 but is still easy to sharpen. It takes a great edge too. I like the Aluminum handles as well.

I hope that the lock on the Pro is better than the one on my standard. It fails the spine whack with the slightest of force, without the LAWKS it may as well be a slip joint.

EHS,
Welcome to the Forums :)

If you can afford some bucks more certainly go with PRO! AUS-8 is very well balanced steel - reasonable edge hold, reasonable ease to sharpen, god rust resistance, good toughness. You may put quite acute edge and it will be stronger than AUS-6 and less brittle than ATS-34. The aluminum handle is very stiff with single steel liner (Zytel one has double) and this makes PRO model noticeably lighter. This difference is not the least thing for so bib and pretty heavy knife.

But if you want to get silly advice (somewhat in taste: What do you like to drink - cola or fanta? Sure - whisky! :D) - take a long look onto Kit Carson's M18. With all respect to Kasper/Crawford's design but I like M18 more ;)

Doc Mac,
I think you have got some kind of lemon. It certainly shouldn't fail spine whacking test. Try to contact CRKT and I would be surprised a lot if they wouldn't solve your problem.

What is the KFF? Is it the same as the CRAWFORD/KASPER FOLDER? I keep looking on CRKT's webpage for info but can only find the latter and it makes no sense that they are the same knife. So can anyone help a confused new guy out and clarify what should be obvious?

I prefer the Pro model over the regular. It's lighter in weight and the handle is anodized a nice color. Some of you folks may notice the grind lines on the KFF Pro to be more crisp and more defined than that of the regular KFF.

Clint,
You are right, this is the same knife. Pat Crawford's handmade built after Bob Kasper's project was named KFF - Kasper Folding Fighter. This is the main reason why folks apply this name to CRKT production version of this knife.

Back