CRKT m16-10KZ

Hey guys, I am hearing that this is a nice little every day carry knife of pretty decent quality. I was wondering what you all think about it, if you have it etc.. I can get one for $13 bucks so it's fairly cheap, what do you guys think? Plus I like that flipper action i've seen on youtube videos.

thanks!

Honestly that particular model is the lowest of the M16 series , I would go for the
CR-M1603Z or the CR-M2102G / M21 series.

If you search you can an older model without the autolawks ( lawks , no auto ).

I picked up a used one on the forums by combining the shipping with some other knives I was buying. I'm not familiar with this series and was curious about them. The 10Z was much smaller than the other CRKT M16 series I have seen at the local knife counter. The flimsy AutoLAWKS promptly failed and got jammed in the pivot after a few dozen flips (to be clear, I bought this used) so I removed it.

It is still in my knife drawer because after all, could YOU sell a used $10 knife with one of the locking mechanisms removed? I still flip it once in a while, which is fun. I've carried it once or twice. The serrations are a little too cramped and grabby for my tastes and don't seem very useful. Since I've seldom cut more than tape with it I can't speak much to the AUS4, but this knife holds the dubious distinction of having the lowest-end steel in my modest collection.

When I compare it to the $12 shipped I spent for my KABAR Dozier, the KABAR beats it handily in design, utility, aesthetics, steel quality, grind, and construction. If I was specifically looking to try a flipper under $20 right now, I'd try out a Kershaw OD-2.

eneyman, if you really like the M16 concept specifically, this could be a very affordable test drive. It's almost like a cheap clone of the CRKT product line, except that it really is a CRKT.

I would stay away, it fails really easy and it crap'd out on me in like 3 days, horrid.

If i were you i would check out the CRKT drifter that can be had for around 10-15 bucks and is a awesome knife for the money, i was very surprised...

Heres my video about it,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDC7NjyYGtg

thanks fellas. I am also looking into the Boker Kalashnikov auto series and have found these online for 37 bucks. I've seen some youtube videos and they seem legit. Any feedback?

The only issue I have with this M16 is the size. It is just too small for my hands, so I carried the M16-14D my brother gave me...until it disappeared :(

I had one of the better versions and I HATED it. Only knife i've intentionally destroyed. I hammered it into a stump and kicked it in half. Hated the steel, the grind, the lock system, everything except the flipper.

I had one of the better versions and I HATED it. Only knife i've intentionally destroyed. I hammered it into a stump and kicked it in half. Hated the steel, the grind, the lock system, everything except the flipper.

:rolleyes: Wouldn't the intelligent thing to do include something like taking it back to the retailer where purchased?? :confused:

I have had my M16-10KZ for about almost three years and its still works as the day I got it. The lock has not failed and it didn't get locked open by using the flipper. I would buy any of the M16-M21 series anytime. For that price I would say get and and see if you like it.

Mike

:rolleyes: Wouldn't the intelligent thing to do include something like taking it back to the retailer where purchased?? :confused:

I purchased it at a flea market, and I tried it out, i'm not going to try and return something like that.

Had one for about an hour before I sent it back for a refund. Have to love Amazon for paying the return shipping! My impression was it was a cheap and cheesy Chinese made faux knife. I did not want to see how long it would go without failing because sometimes you can just tell something will not last like when you look under the hood of a Yugo. The linerlock was really thin and I do mean REALLY thin to an inexcusable level. Small blade or not there still needs to be more meat than that on a linerlock. Everything about it just screamed low quality to me. I have bought much more stout knives at flea markets for under five dollars. If CRKT wants to sell cheapo junk maybe they should sell it at a 1000% profit point rather than a 5,000% one. Did I mention I didn't like it?

I've got one 2 years:

pro's:
Pivot can be adjusted easily
Light weight, compact
Flipper

cons
Poor steel ccompearing other models of similar priced

Even liner is think, the auto lawks makes it relatively secure. I have not yet been able to make lock fail even that's my test and abuse folder. Its surprisingly sturdy knife. If the blade is made better steel, lets se AUS-8 or chinese equal, it will make one heck of an knife. As of now, there's a lot better knives, try Byrd line for example.

Back