CRKT M16, info appreciated

I'm thinkin of buying a CRKT M16-Z knife. Anybody here have one, or any input on it? Need something to be a little more "tactical" than my Leatherman...

I've got an M16-12Z. Its a nice little knife. I'm not really a tanto person, but I do appreciate the work into the design. And with the partial serration, it can serve different chores. It rotates on my seat pouch with my Buck Taclite.

If you are just planning on using it for SD, then it's a fine choice. However if you are likely to use it for cutting things that aren't running at you, then no. The Zytel series uses AUS-6 which can't keep an edge. Along the same line, I would recomend buying up to the Aluminum handle w/ AUS-8 blade steel. It keeps a keen edge, and the blade coating holds up like you won't believe. I also like the finish on this knife more as a whole.
But if this is just for emergencies, then the Z will work just fine.
-KC

For the money CRKT makes some good knives. Not the best quality, but they are definitely good enough to be users on a budget.

I too am not a big fan of tantos, they just are not all that practical for most of my cutting tasks. If you really like the M-16 design I would recommend you get one of the non tanto versions as they are more useful to most people.

What exactly do you need a knife that is more "tactical" than the LM tool for? The intened use of the knife should influence what you look into and ultimately buy. If all you need is a better quality locking knife than the blades on the LM there are many many options.

ErikD said:
For the money CRKT makes some good knives. Not the best quality, but they are definitely good enough to be users on a budget.

I too am not a big fan of tantos, they just are not all that practical for most of my cutting tasks. If you really like the M-16 design I would recommend you get one of the non tanto versions as they are more useful to most people.

What exactly do you need a knife that is more "tactical" than the LM tool for? The intened use of the knife should influence what you look into and ultimately buy. If all you need is a better quality locking knife than the blades on the LM there are many many options.

Dont' get me wrong, my Leatherman is always with me (except where illegal by law), and it is an excellent tool. I love that knife, its very durable and keeps me out of trouble. However, it's a little slow when it comes to whipping it out and cutting the task at hand. Also it doesnt seem to be the type of knife I'd want if I was having to use it for self defense. I have a Supertool 200.

After reading some of the above posts, some folks are saying that the knife blade steel isnt all that good. Are there any good lockblades out there that are good and durable and can also serve defense purposes, all for under $80?

Knifeclerk said:
...Along the same line, I would recomend buying up to the Aluminum handle w/ AUS-8 blade steel. It keeps a keen edge, and the blade coating holds up like you won't believe. I also like the finish on this knife more as a whole...

Also, I've owned a few in different configurations and I found that the larger ones with metal (I thought it was steel) handle flipped MUCH MUCH better because of the weight of the thing (especially the longer blade). The smaller, lighter ones don't seem to have the inertia to flip open very easily.

CRKT is a pretty good value for the dollar. Try ebay. Try www.google.com and click on Froogle and do a Froogle search. Froogle is a pretty good tool for good prices.

Back