CRKT new Bladelock

Without looking hard, have found 3 dealers who now have this new knife in stock. Recent purchases mean I won't be buying one as soon as I'd like. Am hopeful that someone will be getting one soon, and sharing at least initial impressions with us.

Am, of course, particularly interested in the new lock. Early information made it sound like one might have to do 2-3 things with thumbstud to open and lock blade. The information -- that came from CRKT -- now makes it sound like one just pushes the thumb stud until the locking sound is heard. They're also being a bit more bold as to the claimed strength of the lock.

So, please, somebody, do show and tell ASAP. Okay?
redface.gif
smile.gif

------------------
Asi es la vida

Bugs

i have played with one a few time at ag russell. this knife is pretty cool. to unlock the blade (to open it) you press down on the thumbstud.it will stay closed until you do this.then when you open it all the way it will locked closed (bien sur) then to unlock it,you press on the thumbstud the same way you did to open it.this knife is solid,safe,and seems (from what i have seen of it) reliable.

Thanks, Maurice. Something I read somewhere, I think CRKT's own site, implied that one first had to open the blade with the thumb stud, then move the stud, like towards the pivot.

But, according to what is being said at the dealers -- mostly/entirely CRKT's words -- you simply push on the stud, and wait for the sound of locking. If so, that should remove the concerns about speed that Jim March and others expressed, around/during the "open letter to crkt" thread.

Again, am at least slightly impressed that CRKT seems to be saying something to the effect of: Our lock is as strong or stronger that any other folder lock out there.

As a died-in-the-wool CRKT fan -- and Scottish bargain hunter -- I can't really say how amused I'd be if indeed this new lock is better and stronger than the Axis and Rolling locks, and the compression lock from Spyderco.

------------------
Asi es la vida

Bugs

Bugs,

Rod Bremer is sending me one of the first ones off the production line to test. Hopefully, it should be arriving any day now. I will let you all know how it does.

Mario

------------------
Gaucho

Tuvo muy mala suerte...se callo en mi cuchillo.

This is very interesting, pretty new idea among locking devices. This lock holds the blade closed as firmly as opened. To both open and close the knife you should press locking button into the blade and then to rotate blade open or close. I saw the demo knife with transparent lock cover to display how it works at IWA show three weeks ago. Unfortunately there were no conditions to take any good macro photos. I'll take apart mine and try to make these photos as soon as will cope with some urgent writings.

Thanks, Mario and Sergiusz. Am anxious to hear.

The newest Blade magazine has add which sort of shows internal workings of the new lock. As I've mentioned before, am a mechanical moron, and the pictures didn't really help me in any way.

The ad again made it sound very clearly that when the blade opens fully, the lock falls in place and there is no further movement of thumbstud to make knife safe.

From what I do understand so far, it sounds to me like the only "questionable" part of the lock/use, is the pushing in/down on the stud when the knife is closed. If that doesn't require too deliberate or time-consuming a movement, then it should be very effective, and as fast as any other one hand opener -- with the exception of those that can be operated via flippers or simple wrist snaps. But, pushing a thumb stud is part of the game on the vast majority of one-handers, so it seems impossible to fault CRKT with anything on Walker's design.

Well, will wait til I hear. Thanks again guys.

------------------
Asi es la vida

Bugs

I had a chance to play with on at the Buena Park Show about two months ago. The bladelock does not take a lot of additional effort to open or close. Like any new design, you just have to get use to depressing & pivoting the thumb stud at the same time. It's a great idea to have only the thumb stud to open & to lock the blade in place.

------------------
Ed Woo

Back