CRKT Point Guard

<center><font size=4>CRKT Point Guard</font></center>

I received this knife today (6-29-2000) in my post office box. When I pulled it out to examine it, the postal worker behind the desk became rather interested in it and wanted to see it and play with it. A customer also asked to see it and wanted to know where he could buy one, because he said he liked the innovative features of it. We spend a couple minutes talking about how CRKT knives are made in Taiwan, and how Taiwan products are getting pretty good. He was surprised to know that the knife was a Taiwanese manufactured knife (the quality was nice). This shows that us Rebels of the Orient (Confederate States of Taiwan?
biggrin.gif
Rebelling against the fiendish and evil communists! Southern Taiwan shall rise again!
biggrin.gif
) can produce some really nice stuff, and that not all Asian manufacturers produce inferior products (the fake China still does though). Us Chinese (there is only one free China, and that is the Republic of China on Taiwan) can produce good stuff if you don't count the communists and their trash as Chinese (which they aren't, because we Chinese are supposed to be capitalist and free). As I left, I showed the knife to a security guard (guarding a construction site) from theft of power tools. I noticed a Cold Steel Voyager/Gunsite on his belt and started talking to him about knives. Without further delay, I shall start the review:

LAWKS: Lake and Walker Knife Safety. This feature is a sliding metal disk connected to a knob that sticks out from the thumb ramp. When the knife is locked open, you can activate this new safety mechanism by pushing the knob forward, which slides the metal disk under the liner, preventing it from accidental unlocks. I was expecting something a little more complex, but I'm not arguing. This thing makes me feel a lot more secure about my knife. One of my friends wanted a knife to stab car tires (I don't know why, nor do I want to know why). I'm going to hook him up with a Point Guard or a Crawford/Kasper from CRKT with this new LAWKS mechanism, so his precious little digits don't get smushed and cut when his knife unlocks as he viciously punctures a car tire. At the moment he is using the Black-T coated Emerson CQC-7B plain edge that I sold to him. A word of advice however, do not trust this new safety to the point where you will clamp your knife into a vise with the edge sticking out and repeatedly try to make it fail until the handle swings down and brings your little fingers onto the edge. If you conduct unsafe tests and get yourself hurt, then you are an idiot. This knife however is pretty solid as far as liner locks (with or without safeties) go. It passed spine whack tests in both activated and inactive LAWKS. Another plus about this knife is that the liner lock is relatively smooth and not tight and uncomfortable to operate.

Handles: The handles consist of Zytel scales over dual stainless steel liners (420J2?). They are partially skeletonized, making this knife fairly lightweight compared to other knives of its size. Rather comfortable shape in my opinion. The spacer appears to be made of 6061 T6 aluminum. There are notches in the thumb ramp, index finger notch, and rear of the knife next to the spacers.

Blade: The blade is made from 6A stainless steel and it is pretty ordinary in terms of blade shape and tip design. The large model, which is what I have, is about 3.5" in length for the blade. It opens via a thumb disk, which is rather comfortable, just like almost everything else in the knife. A couple cosmetic blemishes near the tang of the blade, but nothing serious. You get more than what you pay for with these knives. The knife blade is held in with a size 10 torx screw. The other screws are all size 6 torx screws.

Pocket Clip: As stated earlier, the pocket clip is held in by size 6 torx screws, just like Benchmade knives. The clip is also skeletonized, giving it a sleek high tech look. It is quite long compared to the average pocket clip on a knife of its size, but this makes it more secure. It is tight, but not extremely tight (hoping to himself that Benchmade hears his thoughts and mutters "730" in his mind). Perfect amount of tightness for secure holding on this knife.

Conclusion: A nice using knife. Secure, and probably a good tire popper. Worth every penny I payed for it and more. This knife will end up being a daily carry until either my EDI Genesis II arrives or my BM-910 gets returned from Benchmade (I thought it was perfect with no QC errors at first, but it ends up that there were!). We will see how it holds up to these other two guys in the future.

------------------
Chang the Asian Janitorial Apparatus
President of Changmade Knife Company
Held to a lower standard!

[This message has been edited by Comrade Chang (edited 06-29-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Comrade Chang (edited 06-29-2000).]

Comrade Chang,
Good review on the Point Guard. I had gotten
mine about a week ago. I really do like this
knife alot. CRKT did good once again on
another fine product!

------------------
"ALWAYS WATCH YOUR SIX"

[This message has been edited by jacko (edited 06-29-2000).]

Chang,

Nice review. I've been looking at the small one for my dad.
I wouldn't recommend the tire bit however! Steel bars closing behind your friend could be nearly as painful as a knife closing on those fingers.

By the way, where's my Sebenza?
COD of course!

wayne

Sure, you want a Changmade Sebenza? Just gimme what handle materials you want (don't complain if you get imitation version of what you specify). And what "blade" material you want.

------------------

CRKT has done a nice job of reproducing the Crawford custom knife. Here's a scan of Crawfor-CRKT and Crawford-Crawford:

<A HREF="http://www.chaicutlery.com/crkt/PointGuards-CrawfordAndCRKT.jpg" TARGET=_blank>
PointGuards-CrawfordAndCRKT-medium.jpg
</A>

The larger CRKT Point Guard passes "spine whack" with and without the safety. The smaller one has a significantly thinner liner, and it needs the safety.

------------------
- JKM
www.chaicutlery.com
AKTI Member # SA00001

Cool. Those real Crawfords look cool.

------------------

I've had mine over a month now, and it makes for a great cutter due to its thin edge. Personally, I wish the pocket clip were shorter, but nevertheless it is comfortable. Super-smooth action and secure lock-up.
Jim

One of my friends just bought my Lansky Deluxe kit and my CRKT Point Guard off me. He needed some equipment, and I don't mind the trouble of reordering another one for myself later. It helps me know that I've converted him into a knife knut. Not only will he be into quality knives now, but he will have his own sharpening system. Now thats a dangerously addictive combination. I've found that half the knives I get are sold to one of my friends (to convert them) in less than 2 weeks. I had my Emerson CQC-7B for about 1 week before one of my friends decided he needed a most excellent knife (he got addicted to the smooth action of expensive knives instantly when he saw my Stryker and CQC-7). He bought it of course.
smile.gif

James Y, I noticed that the thin hollowground blade will cut real well also. The long clip however to me is actually rather attractive. It makes me feel more secure with my knife as it takes more accidental bumpings to dislodge it from my pocket. Mine came pretty tight, but that was because the pivot got overly tightened, I disassembled it, cleaned out all the parts, and then reassembled it, and loosened the pivot slightly to a more comfortable smoothness. Gotta love that new torx kit from BM!

------------------

i just ordered the crkt point guard...large one with plain edge....also ordered the gigand shockwave/carbon fiber. does anyone have one and what is it like ? tks.

I haven't handled a Carbon Fiber Gigand Shockwave yet, but some of those Gigand knives are really nice quality for the money. I ordered a Gigand Summit for a friend (save shipping costs for him by ordering it in with my stuff), and the quality was rather amazing for a $20 knife. Those CRKT and Gigand knives prove that there is absolutely no need for cheap throw-away trash like Frost Cutlery and the Jaguar produced clones (the balisongs are OK though). For just a little more money, you can get a nice CRKT or Gigand, so why bother with cheap trash like Frost.
smile.gif

Rickmos, you will not be disappointed with these knives. They are manufactured by good reputable companies. They are also Taiwanese made.
smile.gif

You are from South Carolina right? The first state to secede from the Union, right? Well, we Taiwanese have rebelled against Red China and we are carrying your rebel spirit inside the Orient by asserting our independence from those commies. We're the Rebels of the East.
smile.gif
When you buy Taiwanese made products, you are supporting your cousins in the Oriental Dixie.
biggrin.gif
Take care, have a good 4th.

------------------
Chang and the Rebels of the East!
Southern Taiwan Will Rise Again!
cst.jpg

Yup, it's got the sun from the Taiwanese flag and the battle flag of the Confederacy.
smile.gif

------------------
Chang and the Rebels of the East!
Southern Taiwan Will Rise Again!
cst.jpg

thanks Chang.....thoroughly enjoyed my visit to Taipei years ago.
Taiwan is really shaking up this industry, can find no faults with my CRKTS, even when comparing them to my Benchmades that cost at least twice as much. later... off to work i go.

[This message has been edited by rickmos (edited 07-07-2000).]

Comrade Chang:
A little off-subject...but I also lived in Taipei from 1985 through the end of 1992. Never at that time did I ever imagine Taiwan would become the rising force in the quality knife industry that it has.

Only been in south Taiwan twice, though...once to Kaohsiung and once to Tainan.
Jim

Back