CRKT S-2, Small Sebenza, EDC

This is my first attempt at a review, and is more a comparison of three similar knives.

Cost: Sebenza: Anywhere from $225-$305
Edc(154cm):$50-$70
S-2: Retails for about $100. I just got one new from
Smokey Mtn. for $25.

Steel: Sebenza: BG-42
EDC: 154cm
S-2: ats34

Carry: Sebenza: Tip up
EDC: Tip down
S-2: Tip down

Lock: All frame locks

Impressions: The Sebenza is an amazing knife. The blade geometry is great. It has a thick blade that feels like it could cut anything. Fit and finish is phenominal. Lock up is so solid that there is absolutly no fear. Action is smooth, but not what I expected for the price. Steel is bomber. I know CRK is updating the steel, but BG-42 is more than good enough. The edge finish is superb.Overall my favorite edc. Downside for me is tip up carry(my opinion only).

The Camilus EDC is quite the bargin for the price. Open next to the Sebenza, the look very similar. Almost exactly the same size. The blade is thinner, but the recurve gies it more cutting edge. Lock up is solid, and the action is like BUTTER. It is the smoothest opening knife I have ever had. Steel is very good. Easier to sharpen than my Seb, even with the recurve. Seb seems to hold the edge longer, likely due to the better steel and thicker blade? Double thumb stud and great clip. Excellent knife. I actually carry it more than the Seb only because I can afford to replace it and I can't afford to replace the Seb.

The S-2 is a nice knife. I looked into getting one a while back, but thought they were overpriced for a CRKT. Great materials (similar to the Seb- handles are Ti, steel good). When I found one for $25, I couldn't resist. It is a little small. The double thumb studs are a little sharp. The action is smooth, and lock up good, but not quite as solid as the other two. Also the lock sticks a little to the blade in the open position (will probably break in). The blade finish is a little rough, acouple swipes on the sharpmaker will fix it though. Clip is great, but thub stud makes it a little hard to get it out of your pocket (not a problem with the EDC). Overall a good knife for under 50 bucks. A slamming deal for $25. This will be my gentleman Beater!

Closing remarks: The Seb is great! Best deal hands down is the EDC. I imagine the Talonite version is better. The S-2 for the price is great, I may buy them for all my friends for X-mas. Hope this helps someone somehow someday! Peace, Josh

never seen a sebenza in my life (in person anyway), always hear good things about it though

got an EDC, agree with your review, quite smoothe, good cutter (recurve rocks) and not overly hard to sharpen, not the way i sharpen (ever heard of someone using sandpaper to sharpen ? well thats me)

hmm.....checking smokey mountains website now for the S2, 25 dollars is an excellent price for a titanium handled, ats34 frame lock. think i might have to get one............

informative review too

Daniel

If you like the Camillus EDC, you definately need to check out the Darrel Ralph designed Paragee by Outdoor Edge. Very similar to the Camillus EDC with a very good looking stonewashed finished AUS-8 recurved blade.

Another "frame-lock" that deserves mention is the Kershaw Vapor. While the overall finish is not up to the level of the EDC or the Paragee, it's still a nice solid folder. Check out all 3 side by side:

frames.jpg

Pic is from knifecenter.com

I have an S2 and I took the thumb stud off and filed it down, that helped alot.

It's a greta deal for $25!

The S2 is a great knife for the money. The other cool thing is that for a knife with ATS34, it is VERY easy to sharpen and get a killer edge on.
Matt

I have all three.

The Sebenza may never leave my side...at least not while I'm alive.

I bought a S-2 a couple years ago, the smallest one. It may have the best piece of ATS-34 I have ever seen, it sharpens almost as well as any non-stainless. I have many other ATS-34 knives, but this one is the best. If you can get one for $25..it's a steal.

I have a EDC in 154CM and it is a great cutter. I think that 154CM is a slightly better steel than ATS-34, but I don't like recurves much, so I don't carry it very often.

If you have the dough, get a Sebenza, it's the ultimate production knife (I got used to the 'tip up' carry very quickly!). If you don't have the dough, a $25 S-2 is a GREAT option!

The EDC is the only flat grind, it is a great knife and also a great value. It is also the only recurve. I prefer a hollow ground, straight blade myself...

You have chosen three great knives to review. :)

Good job!

Steve-O

Back