1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CRKT Sangrador fail

Discussion in 'Knife Reviews & Testing' started by csabacanada, Nov 1, 2018.

1. csabacanada

csabacanada Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 5, 2005
    I purchased the knife a couple of years ago and I liked it so much that I got another one.Never used them till a couple of days ago I was throwing knives and I thought let's try the Sangrador , it is double edge should stick good.
    To my surprise the blade snapped right at the first screw.What the heck.Maybe I got a lemon so I tried the second knife .Couple of throws blade broke at the exact same place .I could not believe it.I know that it is not a throwing knife but it is made of SK5 that is a tough carbon steel .I have knives made of SK5 at 58RC and I have been usind for many years and could not damage the edge. Sangrador SK5 is 54-56 RC .At that hardness SK5 is supposed to be ultra tough and ductile.Most throwing knives are hardened to 55-57RC.Also SK5 is supposed to be a fine grained steel.If you check the picture the grain looks very corse.Big disappointment.I realy like the knife shape.If you have one don't throw it .Thanks

Attached Files:

DocJD likes this.
  2. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
    Bad HT . Unfortunately, not so very unusual for CRKT . Lots of cool designs ruined by their crap production . :(:thumbsdown:

3. Daniel L

Daniel L Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 2, 1998
    Have you tried their warranty claim? It looks like a bad heat treat.

That being said, CRKT isn't a brand I'd be trusting to do any thing heavy with ;)

DocJD likes this.
  4. katanas

katanas

Jan 6, 2012
    Placing the screw (pin?) hole right where the tang narrows (weak point) is a baaaad idea! :rolleyes:

DocJD likes this.