CRKT Urban Shark...initial impressions

Got the 3" (which is the larger) size one, plainedge, today.

First off, it is a small knife, but is extremely solid. The liner engages fully and to the left of tang, perfect IMO. The liner seems to be thicker than on most other liner locks of its size. The gray handle is comfortable but takes a bit of getting used to pulling out of pocket due to small dimensions. The clip placement seats the knife low in the pocket, and in my old Levi's, the gray clip and handle almost make the knife disappear.

The bead blast is of a finer finish than, say, on the M-16's or the KFF. It came with a custom-tied paracord in the lanyard, but it felt in the way and I removed it.

The edge geometry on my sample is excellent and even. I have NOT yet done hard cutting tests, only a preliminary of cutting some twine, and no strain on the edge or frame (it's amazing the strain this simple act of twine cutting puts on some knives). It's more of a sabre flat grind, although it's listed as hollow-ground.

I love this knife. If you like small, well-made knives, the Lightfoot Urban Shark is well worth getting a look at.
Jim

Jim:

Thanks for the review. It seems to me like a perfect travel knife (small plain blade / non-threatening looks). That's why I'm considering picking one up.

Does the Urban Shark have the LAWKS feature that is on the KFF and Point Guard?

Have you tried a spine-whack test?

Squid:
The Urban Shark does not have the LAWKS feature, which is okay for me. I also had bought a smaller version of CRKT's KFF, and the LAWKS is probably more important on that one, as IMO it seems more of a self-defense knife than a utility tool.

As for the spine whack test, I personally don't do it. The reason is, IMO it gradually weakens the integrity of the pivot point, etc., etc. So IMO that's why some people will say a certain liner lock will pass tests for years, then suddenly start failing.

OTOH, I have heard of knives, like the old Camillus electrician's knife, which had a type of old-style liner lock on the screwdriver, not failing the spine whack test. But when someone went to turn a screw, the think closed on their hand every time.

One thing I did test was if the back blade stop pin would support sufficient cutting pressure without "moving." Some liner locks, when exerting cutting pressure, the blade will move back almost imperceptibly, and the liner will start scooting over to the right of blade tang, or at least further on in. My Urban Shark displayed none of that softness.
Sorry for rambling!
smile.gif

Jim

Okay! I'm sold.
I'm starting to like small, solid folders for dress carry. They don't print in dress pants as much, as say, my Sifu.
eek.gif

I can't believe I was at the store picking up my Point Guard and forgot to get an Urban Shark while I was there. DOAH!!

------------------
The individualist without strategy who takes opponents lightly will inevitably become the captive of others.
Sun Tzu

Just handled one and I have to say I am impressed so impressed that I am going to order one. Seems the perfect solid smaller knife for a back up to your larger carry piece.
Bob

Jim:

Thanks for the review. I carry a large KFF on the job, but it looks too agressive for social outings. I was looking at the urban shark but wasn't sure. BTW leave some para cord (or leather etc.) with a bead / peso / other small object through the lanyard hole to assist your pocket draw - - - it really works.

DH204

I'm BTTT because I picked up an Urban Shark a couple of weeks ago, and I thought I could contribute some useful info that I haven't seen yet.

I compared it to a small Sebenza because it's similar it size and a daily carry for the same types of uses.

The bad: as mentioned elsewhere the handle seems to be a little thicker than it could be. The thumb notch angle is such that if it's against the pocket seam it will catch and jam as you withdraw it. The thumb stud edge is a little sharp, it's meant to have you thumb directly on the top, not the side like the Sebenza. There's a lanyard on it which doesn't make sense to me as it's on the end that's deep in your pocket instead of the end with the pocket clip. There's some rows cut crosswise on the end which is in you pocket as well, I don't know why they are there.

The stop pin is smaller in diameter as compared to the sebenza, but the blade has a similar cut on the back of the blade so it contacts the stop pin in an arc istead of a point.

The good: The edge bevel is thin and it slices really well for paper and cardboard. I can't comment on edge holding as I haven't used it that much yet. It opens smoothly and the lock works fine, it's almost flush so for me it's not going to unlock when gripped hard, OTH it would be hard to release the lock if you have gloves on or if your finger where thicker it would be had to unlock. It has a very nice quality feel.

Ok, does it replace a sebenza? No, but it cuts and slices pretty damn well, with prices at $20 for the small or $25 for the large, I think it's a great deal.

DaveH

Back