Crocodile Dundee knife finally in production!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fletcher Knives

STEEL BREATHING BLADE MAESTRO
I can't count how many times people here have asked, "who makes the knife from Crocodile Dundee?" I myself have searched from the 80's grail knife for years. Anyone who has researched the famous Dundee knife inevitably comes to the same dead end, where they discover that there were only two of these knives ever made, one unsharp prop knife in aluminum and one real knife that still resides in the hands of Mick himself (Paul Hogan). The prop knife was auctioned off some time ago and now where it has ended up is a mystery. The maker who originally designed and made the knife for the movie has, to everyone's knowledge, never made another. Well someone is finally making a production version. This is the closest version I've seen. While it's not exact, it is damn close! It's fromDown Under Knives. I spotted it in a tiny article in the latest issue of Knives Illustrated. I don't know about the rest of you, but I think I'll be picking up two of these. One for the display case, and one to practice jumping out of trees onto crocodiles' backs and stabbing them in the head to save Linda Kozlowski!
outback-large-6-small.jpg

DUKnew1-small.jpg

That is one hell of a knife, looks great and they back it up with a 5 year warranty.:thumbup: Thanks for the info, now if $250.00 would magically appear.:(

the guy has vids on youtube of him showing what they can do...not bad from the vids, would like to hear more.

dang!
now that's a knife.
having a larger than life reputation, i'm taken aback to finally see "the outback" being a little shorter than what i had imagined (an angled distortion perhaps?).

it's differentially heat treated 440C. A lot better than some wall hanger. Pretty cool.

- Mark

FAQQ: Where are your knives made?
A: We have a carefully selected production partner in Asia. The knife is almost 70% handcrafted by top professional bladesmiths.

Q: The colors and general appearance of the handles seem to vary. Why is this?
A: The layered construction of the Outback™ handles requires them to be built almost entirely by hand. The leather and wood used in their construction also has some natural variation, so every knife is almost guaranteed to be unique.

Q: I have heard that 440C steel cannot be forged, yet the specifications say the Outback™ has a forged 440C blade. What's up with that?
A: There is no practical or theoretical reason why 440C could not be forged and tempered. This myth is quite simply not true.

Q: Is Down Under Knives planning to produce any other designs?
A: Yes, we are going to extend our product range with some quite interesting new models in the near future. Look to these pages for the latest information.

Q: The Outback™ is a pretty heavy knife, but not nearly as blade heavy as one would expect. Why is that?
A: The knife is designed to balance well for practical use. The weight of the blade is very effectively offset by the heavy tang and solid brass pommel and guard.

Q: Where can I get one?
A: The Where to buy page lists all current distributors and online dealers.
The list is continually updated as new dealers start to carry the Down Under Knives brand.

Copyright © 2010 Down Under Knives

I am not too keen on a large Fixed blade in 440C if that's what it really is.

Would have rather seen it in 1095 or 1055.

Partner in Asia

Who????

This is one of those few knives that I don't care quite as much about the materials as I do about the sentimental love I have for it. It's the Dundee knife. That's all I wanted. I've been looking for one since the mid 80's. For what it is, it's a decent knife.

Yeah, but neither one of those is near as close to the Dundee knife as this is. I looked at both of those for years, but I just couldn't get something "kinda like" the Dundee. I wanted something damn near exact. The Linder and Marbles just aren't close enough. They might very well be the better blade, but I want it for the looks.

440C at 52HRC? Surely, knives today can be better than that.

I think you accidentally looked at their kookaburra which said hardened at
approx. 52RC but if you look under the specs of the Outback it says:
Edge heattreated at 58-59RC, and spine at 45-46RC!
so it looks pretty good to me!

I sure like this bad boy!:thumbup:

I have no opinion about the knife, but the company gave us a lot of trouble last year, constantly re-registering to spam us again and again as we banned him.

Please don't do his advertising for him. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back